Register

update-Crazy Bunny! Gender confused?

Understand why your rabbits behave the way they do - and what you can do about it.
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 6,317.00

Re: update-Crazy Bunny! Gender confused?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby macksmom98 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:19 am

Her parents are great both as parents and behavior wise. She's not always been like now, but I do understand what you are saying. The reason we got into rabbits was because we were gifted one who was grouchy and lunging, and were given one more like that later. Both of them have turned out to be lovely moms and pets, all they needed was to be allowed to have a litter or 2 and grow up some. I am hoping the same for her. I have never had a psycho rabbit who has stayed a psycho rabbit. I don't plan on giving her strikes, just a chance to see if she will be a good mom. I do not want to create a bunch of rabbits with her personality. I assumed that since her parents were nice and we own them both, that she would have a good chance of producing others like them too. Is this not the case?

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,857.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby ButtonsPalace » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:06 pm

macksmom98 wrote:They pretty much all hump each other, it's how they establish dominance and also let the males know they are in the mood. I don't think you can really stop that, but an Doe that hurts a Buck can ruin him to the point he won't even try again because of the experience. Well endowed? For a bunny? Too funny!

Maybe endowed is the wrong word.. But after he made my doe scream, I grabbed him to make sure nothing was wrong with his bits. Nothing at all wrong I just don't think he can be with any virgin does anymore.
@Happydalerabbits on Facebook :)

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,436.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby ladysown » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:59 pm

rabbits are funny.

I've learned to be very mindful of early temperament particularly with fancy stock.

I don't want to sell rabbits to people, who often don't know how to handle rabbits, and have that rabbit turn out to have a less than positive personality. Temperament is REALLY important. Busy busy babies.... can be great moms...but they can also produce busy busy babies that turn out to be busy busy adults...in a pet home that isn't equipped to handle that busyness. and have that busy rabbit start peeing, and being destructive and ... you get the picture I'm sure.

If you aren't selling to pet homes and want to give those busy babies a chance to be a stellar adults GO FOR IT. :) but it's just something to be mindful of. Can you produce what you want without risking that busy, slightly nutty, behaviour? Busy rabbits are quite often SMART rabbits. Dumb rabbits...make better pets. :)
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,436.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby ladysown » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:59 pm

rabbits are funny.

I've learned to be very mindful of early temperament particularly with fancy stock.

I don't want to sell rabbits to people, who often don't know how to handle rabbits, and have that rabbit turn out to have a less than positive personality. Temperament is REALLY important. Busy busy babies.... can be great moms...but they can also produce busy busy babies that turn out to be busy busy adults...in a pet home that isn't equipped to handle that busyness. and have that busy rabbit start peeing, and being destructive and ... you get the picture I'm sure.

If you aren't selling to pet homes and want to give those busy babies a chance to be a stellar adults GO FOR IT. :) but it's just something to be mindful of. Can you produce what you want without risking that busy, slightly nutty, behaviour? Busy rabbits are quite often SMART rabbits. Dumb rabbits...make better pets. :)
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

Post Number:#20  Unread postby macksmom98 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:15 pm

I agree with that:). I guess we will see what happens and dispatch whatever doesn't work out. We are trying to improve our line and it makes no sense to sell someone a crazy rabbit. It's a roll of the dice as to what we will get. Rabbits are interesting and keep me constantly learning, that's part of the fun!

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,905.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby a7736100 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:21 pm

Just an observation. I have a doe which had a few litters. Yesterday when I tried bred her she did some mounting, humping and even fall offs. Don't know if that is natural or if learned behavior. People keep saying mounting is a dominance but I'm think it may be sexual.

The following user would like to thank a7736100 for this post
macksmom98

Post Number:#22  Unread postby macksmom98 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:53 pm

My belief is that it can be both. The part of my situation that had me so confused is the fall off and the spraying. Interesting to think about if its natural or learned. I am glad to hear others have females that do it tho, it helps to lesson the perplexity:)

Previous