Register

craigslist ad tried to sell giant as dwarf bunny

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 40.00

craigslist ad tried to sell giant as dwarf bunny

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Corrina35 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:54 pm

there was an ad in the fraser valley craigslist selling a "dwarf bunny." had a pic of a rabbit on a harness. it had long, giant ears. it was clearly a just weaned Flemish giant rabbit, agouti colored. I was not the only one who noticed this. it was obvious. they wanted a $30 rehoming fee. ridiculous. this is one reason I don't buy bunnies from that site. the ad was removed maybe it was flagged too much.

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Re: craigslist ad tried to sell giant as dwarf bunny

Post Number:#2  Unread postby akane » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:21 am

They sell everything as dwarf. The stuff in the pet stores isn't a whole lot better. They often clear 8-10lbs.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 4,787.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby katiebear » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:52 am

Out here everything is a New Zealand or Californian....Obvious small breeds go for a fortune...Lion Heads go for 50 to 100 bucks..Mini Lops for 30 to 50..Most without pedigree... ..
A Flemish, pure without papers can go for 50-80..Mix for 30-50..
I didn't feel bad for selling my mixes for 25, The market was 30-50,for that cross...They were half Flemish.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,325.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby JenerationX » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:21 pm

My favorite is people selling "mini" or "teacup" pigs.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 230.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby CptJack » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:24 pm

Heck of a place for me to jump in, but I'm doing it anyway.

I have a little dwarf guy that I posted pictures of on another forum. I can not tell you how many people popped up and told me their dwarf looked nothing like that and thought mine had something wrong with him/wasn't a dwarf. I suspect in some cases it's just a situation with owning a false dwarf and never having seen a true one, but in some of them... nope, maybe dwarf mixes but not even always that.

"Tiny" is a selling point and people will use it ANYWHERE, and with anything. It just seems like it's been a particularly long lasting run with rabbits.

(For the record, mine cost 30.00 with a 3 generation pedigree. The rabbits that seem to go for the MOST here are the giants, but there are very, very few of those around)

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,700.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby akane » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:18 pm

I get some people who have done their homework and actually want a netherland dwarf but then they can't understand that I can't tell them which ones will remain a true dwarf. Not that it matters cause a 3lb netherland dwarf shaped rabbit is still entirely different a pet store "dwarf" rabbit. Some guy has been bothering me since last summer for the smallest dwarf I can give them but they want a junior less than 3months.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 230.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby CptJack » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:28 pm

I don't actually understand the obsession with size. I understand wanting small obviously and I definitely understand breed preferences, but at some point it becomes a bit silly. Does it REALLY make that much difference if the rabbit is 2lbs or 3? Or if the yorkie is 5lbs or 6?

Never mind the unpredictability and unfinished nature of anything baby, and the whole ball of wax that comes with that.

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 32,813.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Zass » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:34 pm

It makes a difference if you are are trying to stuff a rabbit in a ridiculously small, pet store "rabbit starter" cage for the rest of it's life.