Covered doe twice then bit ME when I went to take her out!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
So Mag Pyre did his usual one second job done, 10 min bragging about it. Stamping and hopping and the entire victory dance. :roll: But, as the doe was nice and calm I left him to it wiht her in the cage and, after he calmed down again and looked interested I got her out of her corner and he did the job again!

yay!

But then, when I went to get ehr out, he bloody well bit me! I saw it coming so moved my hand enough so it was just a sharp nip on the very end of my finger but it still HURTS! And it was with intent to hurt, he jumped to get me, even with my hand moving fast out of his way.

He is the first EVER to do something like this!

Is it any way normal for a buck to get stroppy and bite when he knows the doe is leaving?

I snatched him out of his cage and tossed his sorry backside into a spare cage so I could get her out safely but I am wondering now if he should be my second rex hide for the blanket! :evil:

Some bucks get possesive when breeding. Enki circles his doe thumping and grunting warnings but he hasn't bit me. Either rabbit that's breeding could get violent at an intruder.

Naughty boy! :nono:

I guess he wasn't done yet. :roll:

None of my rabbits have ever bitten me. I am careful when removing a doe from the cage if the buck is still determined to breed again, though... not out of fear of aggression, just so he doesn't mistake me for the doe and bite flesh instead of fur.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":10hormsm said:
I would keep a replacement buck out of that litter

If these two does EVER have kits ALL of them are going to be keepers! At least long enough to be prime hides, at least. :lol:

I havnt been happy with Mag Pyer since I got him, he just has a bit of an edge to him although up till now I have lifted does for him with no problems.

Perhaps now that the does are lifting for him he thinks he doesnt need me interfering in HIS business! :roll:

I think the question is what is the line between an assertive attractive breeding male and an aggressive male that you would not want in your breeding program.

Schipperkesue":665yrwip said:
I think the question is what is the line between an assertive attractive breeding male and an aggressive male that you would not want in your breeding program.

I think he went from a slow, lackluster breeder that had to be jollied on a bit to an aggressive male I dont want in my breeding program all in one jump and bite! :lol:

My fingers are crossed for kits THIS time so I can replace him!

It was just such a surprise for his nature to change so fast, a surprise and a bad one at that! :evil:

Back