Cover a colony

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember one member who had a HUGE colony area, and he just provided lots of cover. He had birds of prey in the area.

Do you need a cover for shade in the summer ?
If year round, then a cover for protection in the winter ?

I know for my chickens, I should have a cover on their fenced in yard.
We have birds of prey here. In almost 6 years, we have only lost 3 birds
to the birds from the sky.

The other critters here are chipmunks and squirrels. I know when
we put the chicks out in the kennel yards that I finally went to extra
netting around the outside of the panels, to keep the varmits out.
And a tarp on top, and at least 2 sides to shadow from the sun.

If you only have small wild birds, like sparrows, then they would be
able to fly into and over, the open run and poop in there.

Years ago when we had a colony, we did not have it covered, but we did provide lots of cover. We did not have the predators there that we do now though. If I were to start one again, I would have to have 1/2" x 1" wire to keep rattlesnakes and copperheads out (because they DO go through 1"x1" and 1"x2") and to keep rats and opossums and weasels out. Then cover it to keep out the falcons, hawks and owls. Let alone the coyote. :evil:

I didn't have my 20x15 colony covered but did have lots of benches and dog houses for them to hide in and provide shade.

Although we have hawks we never had one take a rabbit, just the chickens :)

No hawks, no birds larger than a sparrow, no owls, no skunks, raccoons, an occasional possum in the barn that the dogs kill quickly. I do have bird netting that I used in the chicken coop, that will keep the sparrows out. The buns are not out year round, and there is a large tree that offers shade in the summer, and they have plastic dog crates to go into. I hate the snow and wind, so everyone comes back in after the first frost. Usually the area is only used for grow outs, but I have an older doe who has not conceived, it was suggested to put her in a colony situation. Actually, in the few days she's been out there, she had been a kinder, more sociable bunny. She seems no longer afraid of me.

Building permanent structures in the city and on this property is kind of a no no. I sank the posts but a room would make it permanent. Also, the sky is my only source of light.

Latest posts

Back