Could they be bred?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowsnest

Reaction score
I just got back into raising rabbits this year. I had pet/show rabbits about 10 years ago. Wow, did I forget alot! Anyway, I am raising for meat this time around and converted an open air chicken coop that is 16 x 10 and about 7 feet tall for my outdoor colony. It does have a roof and is completely enclosed. At any rate, I got 2 really nice NZ California cross does from a guy who breeds commercially. He said he keeps the whole litter together until they are sold to individuals or picked up by the company. These does are about 6-7 pounds and have obviously been harassed by the bucks in their litter. Their backs are not bare, but have been scratched enough to be missing some hair - it's obvious. Other than this his setup was very clean and well managed. He had some very large and healthy meat rabbits - some 12 or 13 pound monsters. I asked about the does being possibly bred, and when we checked one for sexing she was pretty red down there and kind of swollen looking - that would indicate sexual maturity/readiness to breed if I remember correctly. Could he have his dates/the ages of the does wrong (he said 8-9 weeks) or could they be older - and what are the chances these girls could be preggo already?

They sound older to me... maybe 12-14 weeks or even more. But... all depends on the line. Some mature faster than others so I don't feel comfortable saying that they are older for sure.

They sound older to me as well. I find 5lbs is the average for 8-12 week old weights in most meat breeds after that age development tends to slow drastically. I cannot see a 6-7lb rabbit being 8-9 weeks old but who knows if they are I want me some.

I had a doe give birth at 12 week meaning she was mature and bred at 8 weeks so that doesn't rule it out. They are a bit big though.

Crowsnest,
if they are eight to ten weeks old and were housed with Bucks,
the chances are more than likely, they ARE bred!
Just my opinion as I am not there to see what they look like.
Are the quite round and heavy? :roll:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

To me, they look a bit thick through the middle - if you know what I mean. Some of my rabbits years ago would get like that, but they were established herd does that only took on that characteristic after they had raised a few litters - I have always had the hardest time telling if a 1st time doe was preggo, and I don't even know what these girl "usually" look like. I hate not having a "before" image of them. He says he culls and culls very hard for litter size and mothering skills. I believe him - not one single cage of youngsters had less than 8 babies in it, one had 13. I believe they were all from the same litter too, because they were pretty much all the same size, bucks being a tad bigger of course. I guess I just hope for the best and prepare for the "worst" with these new ladies. I do have three pet carriers (took the doors off) and one really big nest box in there just in case so that they would have some choice for a nest if they do kindle. I am waiting to add my cali buck for at least a month or so at any rate. I think my best guess is that these does are closer to 12 weeks - god I almost hope they are not 8 weeks - that's just too young, and I don't know that I would have much hope of them raising any babies successfully.

Watch that they aren't peeing in your provided boxes and then decide to nest in them when the time comes. I'd check them every couple days and empty and refill with clean bedding if they are peed in. Aside from the possibility of kits being put in a dirty box the litter boxes will start to smell quickly and if you have any hay or straw in there leaving it wet and having a rabbit eat some could make them very ill. That's why nestboxes aren't usually added until a certain day. It avoids the problem of them using it as a litterbox. I had to take away a box in the colony because they decided to use it as a litterbox. I'm hoping if I clean it well and put it in a new location they will stop.

Thanks so much to everyone for the advise and help. I had forgotten about does using nest boxes for litter boxes, lol. I will make sure and check them to prevent them being pee'd and poo'd in...thanks for the reminder! I am keeping a close eye on the girls too - will update if they have babies and let you guys know the results. Keeping my fingers crossed that they are not and will have a chance to grow some more themselves before becoming mommas. I think I am going to start saving some drier lint just in case, since I obviously don't have any doe hair to provide in the case of an emergency. You guys are awesome, thanks for all the help and suggestions! :)

Well, one of the does has decided to build a burrow, not deep or huge, but she does defend it from the other young does - and her belly looks pretty tight. Don't know for sure if building the burrow is significant to pregnancy, but I have read that that is the time when does really get busy digging in a colony. We have had a few fairly warm days, but not this week - it's been a tad chilly and rainy.... guess I will find out sooner or later! They also have developed dewlaps overnight it seems. One doe has a pretty good one going now, and the other barely has more than a pencil roll. The one with the bigger dewlap is the one burrowing.

I think I am going to start saving some drier lint just in case,
since I obviously don't have any doe hair to provide in the case
of an emergency. [Crowsnest]

You do not have to save drier lint,
if a Doe does not pull enough fur, you can
easily pluck it from her Rump, sides and belly.
The fur will easily pull out in clumps.
Doing so will wake the Dam up to the situation.
Soon after she will most likely fill the nest with fur.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Well, one of the does has made a HUGE nest and pulled a little fur. If this IS a false pregnancy at least she will probably have decent mothering instincts when I do decide to breed her later..... hopefully we will have live kits tomorrow.

Back