Could some help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanmayo

Reaction score
Hello to all. My doe has give birth to 5 new kits. she done everything right made the nest but I'm not sure if she is feeding them but there is one smaller than the rest is this a problem? And she's a dwarf lion head

Hi and welcome! :hi:

A first-time momma rabbit that builds a nest, pulls fur and kindles in the box is off to a good start. As to whether she's feeding them, take a look at this thread of fed and unfed kits.
fed-vs-unfed-kit-pictures-t3052.html
The pictures I posted in it were of meat mutts, so naturally your lionheads are going to look smaller. Your doe's milk may not come in immediately, so be prepared to examine the kits at intervals if they don't seem to be fed the first time. It's quite all right to handle the kits (washing your hands first is a good idea). The doe will not abandon them because of it -- that's a common myth.

Now, regarding the one that is smaller. It may be a runt - just undersized - or it may be a "peanut" - an unviable dwarf kit that will not survive. I don't have any experience with the dwarf breeds, but someone else will likely chime in. Sometimes runts do fine and eventually catch up. About all you can do at this point is give it a chance.

I am moving your topic to the Kindling and Care of Does and Kits forum because you will get more and better responses if it is in the right forum.

And to add on to MaggieJ's advice; does will usually feed once or twice a day for just a few minutes. They ignore the nest otherwise. So don't be worried if you don't see them nursing.

sounds like you have the makings of a good mother rabbit there. One thing i do before touching the kits. Is to run my hand over the mother. My dad taught me this many years ago and has served me well. If the kits belly's are round she is a feeding them.

Yeah I always stroke the mum first I have a picture dose this look like it's being fed also she pulling more fur out is this normal as she gave birth 2 days ago

Could be a peanut or a runt. You could post a picture and someone can probably tell you with a reasonable amount of confidence which it is. I don't breed dwarfs breeds so don't have any experience with peanuts.

I've heard that no matter what you do peanuts won't live to see adulthood. I think 12 weeks was as old as someone got one to live before it died... which is a REALLY long time for a peanut!

However runts can definitely survive. :)

Looks fed to me. But as was said earlier a bit scrunched up. I would leave them alone for the rest of today and check in the morning to see if they are being fed. For the tiny one. Not all make it when everything is going right sometimes.

Thank you all who commented I really appreciate it as I'm new to this and also my buck and doe is now i can rest myself knowing she's doing fine I hate going work leaving them on there own <br /><br /> -- Fri May 26, 2017 11:47 am -- <br /><br /> When is the father aloud to be with the baby's?

Back