Register

Corn in feed

Choose the right feeds to suit your needs and budget.
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 495.00

Corn in feed

Post Number:#1  Unread postby REDMIST » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:20 am

I have been using southern states 16℅ commercial rabbit feed for a year with good results. The last two bags had significant amounts of corn in the pellets. Is corn bad for Rabbits? I raise polish and silver fox. I have limited options for feed. I am able to get several different ones from southern states but all are made by them and are higher protein percentage. Around 18. I can go to blue seal at 17℅ but really didn't like the quality at the store. I plan on talking to southern states to see why there is so much corn and if this is a one off run. Need some help and guidance. The corn is in pellet and enough to have noticed it.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 9,282.00

Re: Corn in feed

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Homer » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:31 am

Corn is not good for your rabbits. It can cause digestive issue leading to impaction and you can loose you rabbit. The hull of the corn cannot be digested.

Do you have a Walmart around there? Small World feed (Wally World brand name) is made by Manna Pro and has no corn.
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 31,003.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Zass » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Corn also packs fat on rabbits, which can interfere with breeding. Purina pellets have corn as an ingredient. I don't lose kits to enteritis on them, but my does have to be watched closely and bred young to avoid fat accumulation.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 34,905.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby akane » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Often a lot of corn not in the pellet is not the fault of the brand owner. It's the local mill where it's made. They run corn through the machine to clear it of stuck particles or to make a livestock mix and if they are not responsible about how they clean it the extra corn left in the machine goes into the next bag or so of pellets. Some can't use manna pro despite it's no corn promises because the bags are just full of corn from whatever mill was making the feed. The company may not be able to do a whole lot when the problem is on the local level unless they have another mill to choose from in the area. If you have a frequent reason to travel sometimes just buying in a different town may fix your problem depending again on how many mills you have around making feed.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
In order to save myself I must destroy first the me I was told to be -The Dreamer