Converting tractor to winter colony questions...and kindling

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dobergoat

Reaction score
Okay so I put my bunn's in a colony tractor for the summer. Just put them all in and 3 minutes of organizing and they've been great ever since. And now there is no way the ladies are going to be going back into their cages.

Backround:

One of our bucks is presently living with the 3 does in the 12 X 8 tractor, we move it 6+ feet per day for fresh grass.

I have rubbermaid containers in there for hiding in, ramp, shelf etc. They have a bucket of hay available and pellets at all times, I'm a little worried that they are getting fat, but that's another topic. Now someone is using the containers as a potty, I keep having to clean them out.

Question 1.
I'm assuming the lady bunnies are now pregnant ( Buck was put in on Aug 31st) what do I have to add so they have a place to kindle? We move the tractor everyday so they don't get a chance to dig. Will they kindle in the boxes? In cages they were great at using their wire box with cardboard - but that won't work outside.

2. Do I pull the buck? I don't want back to back pregnancies. I like giving the does a rest as they tend to have litters of 9 or so. Also want to control breeding...I guess I just answered my own question.

3. For the winter I'm not going to be dragging this through the snow. Was going to attach it to a shed and give them an indoor area as well, roughly 4x6 with 2 doors so no one can hog the indoors. Or should I just build them some wooden boxes, do they need the indoor space in the winter? And with the added space there should be enough room for litters before weaning?

4. So far no digging. But I assume once we stop moving it and the tractor is "parked" were going to see some digging. I don't need them getting out as we have a lot of predators here. Should I put wire under the tractor area? or patio stones? Which is easier to clean and more comfortable? We have cold and snowy winters. The tarps will remain on the top of the tractor and I will add something down lower to stop snow drifts and wind.

Thanks, no one I know has tried a colony so I don't have anyone to ask.

Added some pics, we've added some shelves since then, will get new ones and post.
They are very pro lounging...I'm often jealous as I look at them while going to the barn to do chores and they look up all lazy.

Attachments

• IMG_0844small.jpg
    IMG_0844small.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 2,310
  • IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    437.4 KB · Views: 2,310
Will they kindle in the boxes?
maybe, but maybe not.

Or should I just build them some wooden boxes,
bad idea. The mud from melting snow and spring thaw will cause disease. You MUST keep them dry in the colder months. A wet cold rabbit is a dead rabbit.

Should I put wire under the tractor area? or patio stones?
See above. You could completely pave it in patio stones (will help with mud) IF you shovel out the snow and don't let it build up and turn to ice which melts and makes them wet - see above reason.

All in all I think an indoor shed would be your best bet to keep them dry.

for the winter I'd park them on top of some patio stones. I'd also toss in some tunnel like nestboxes for them.

I'd be hesitant to pull the buck if you want to integrate him back into the colony again, but if you want to pull him and leave him out that might work (then you just pull the girls when you want to breed them).

Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't sure how weather resistant rabbits are in the winter. Their tractor is covered and will be wrapped to keep the wind/ weather out, but have some ventilation and air flow. The whole top is tarped, and they stay dry inside, in the winter I was planning on using a folded hay tarp on top of what they have. They will still have their "containers" in their to hide in as well.

I was thinking of attaching it to a shed that we are getting and giving them a section of it. This would give them the option of going in or out if they choose. I figure their smart enough not to get wetter then they can handle? All our animals - chickens to sheep, goats, geese, can choose to be in their shelter or outdoor so I figured the rabbits could handle making good decisions...or am I wrong?

Sorry I didn't mean a box, I meant make them a small building like 4x6 with slanted roof etc. so they can go into that or go out. With access doors for me to check inside. Would you build separate compartments ( like dens) or one big open space. The other shed I'm thinking of using is also wood. All our outbuilding are wood.

I will definitely go with the patio stones. I want to plan this all as I don't want to have to be rethinking this when were 3 ft+ deep in snow. We do deep bedding in the sheep barn and I was thinking that would work for the rabbits? or do you gut and clean the area frequently?

I just added the buck about a month ago as I needed to use his tractor for someone else. He adjusted well. But I think I would like to control breeding more. Especially in the winter as I want to know when to expect litters so everything is ready for them. I might try and put him back into the colony next summer - but then I don't want summer litters as it's the ladies time off and hot and humid here.

Once, we saw two of our bunnies, doing the bunny hop, as I call it. I went back outside after work and found a litter I assume came that morning. About a month later another litter. Be forewarned they can get pregnant the day they give birth.

Thanks

That was why I was thinking of pulling the buck. I don't need back to back litters, will be over run with rabbits!!!!

New question. First litter yesterday. What do people us for outdoor colony kindling boxes?

I put out containers for them to use but instead they used the hay box...which is not appropriate since the kits can crawl out. Also one of the rabbits is using the containers ( all 3 of them) as litter boxes....

Can anyone tell me what they use?

Another reason I think I need to pull the buck - then I know when to put in the kindling boxes and I won't have to worry about them using them as poop boxes as much.

You can probably move them into something else, and mama will just go in and feed them there. might have to use yet another container. Best if it's in a corner or kinda hidden. They feel better about having kits in a hidden place. You could even use a blanket or sheet with clothes pins to make a little "tent" spot over the container. Put the nest they made with the hay in there too. We use cardbored boxs until they can climb out. Then use a pet carrier or a cage. The only problem with thoes is letting mama in and out to feed them. It works out Ok though. Whenever I move our nests I make sure the mama knows they're there, although I'm sure she already knows. As long as your Rabbits are plenty used to your sent, it should be OK to touch and move the kits. You might wait until they have some fur though, some say you shuoldn't touch them if their pink unless it's an emergency.

They have some fur now. I moved them to a more secure container...while I was moving them I noticed one was right out of the tractor. My 9 week old pup noticed the other 2 before I got a chance to get them. So now were down to 2 kits. Live and learn. I still like the colony idea, have to just work out this kink.

Thanks I wasn't sure if I could move the nest or not. Can't hurt at this point.

No problem. I even had to move a nest that got flooded once! we didn't realize there was a hole in our hose and it was all running down hill. No one outside all day. Didn't see it until that evening. Everthing turned out ok though.

I’m sorry about the two kits. I've been there before, wondering if I'd seen or done something sooner. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Once two litters, were born a few days apart. One of our does is really territorial. I saw her chining the other's nest, that we had moved inside the house. She's an in and out bunny, I call her the puppy rabbit, because she kind of acts like the dogs, goes to the back door when she wants in and out. Anyway, I shooed her away, but the a couple days later the litter seemed sluggish and than in one night all died. One I found alive by itself before I went to bed. I wondered later if her chining made the other rabbit ignore them and not feed them. The "puppy rabbit" is in charge. I felt pretty bad for not paying enough attention and leaving the door open. At least afterward I saw them getting weak, I could've tried to put the last one in the other nest and she would’ve nursed it. Maybe there was something else wrong with them I don't know. Like you said, "Live and Learn. Look out for crust on the nose of a kit as well by the way. They can’t nurse if they can’t breathe, and will get weak. I learned that too late too.

Thanks for all the info.

For the next litter I changed stuff a bit ( should be due today). Still using a rubbermaid container with the hole cut out. But I put our old kindling boxes from our cages into the rubbermaids. Maybe the girls will recognize them as theirs. Cut the whole larger in the rubbermaids so the ladies can jump in and out, but the walls on the kindling box are high so should keep the kits in. Also wedged the rubbermaid so their is not way it can be accidentally tipped.

I think once I get the building here and their tractor is parked by it and they have indoor space I might have less issues.

Oh, that's really nice! Happy bunnies! :)
So I have a question about colony kindling with no burrows. Will other rabbits jump in and out of the nest boxes, hurting or killing the babies?

So far I've only had 2 kindling's. The first one was a shamble. She didn't use a good spot - used the hay box.

So far the second kindling is going well. I will post a pic if I can remember to take one. Georgie, second in dominance, is the only doe that goes in from what I've seen. The other does have looked in but no ones gone in. She choose a box that was kind of hidden. So I think I'm going to make "tunnels" to the boxes so they feel more secure. I don't want them digging burrows. So far they've been really good an no digging. Our tractor has no bottom and I prefer to keep it that way so they get the best grass exposure.<br /><br />__________ Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:43 pm __________<br /><br />hi So I thought I would update.

The Second litter is doing really well, 5 weeks old, all 9 have survived in the colony. Soon I will be starting to wean them and put them in grow out pens. I guess I should mention I don't have a "colony" but a modified one. Buck lives seporatly, kits are weaned and removed. Only the does really stay there.

I decided to build an extention on the chicken coop 10x12 for the rabbits, solid roof, walls and wire on the ground where the colony will be living in the winter. Tractor tarped was working okay, just got sick of getting caught on the wire, need to do some fine tuning on it. Once grass comes back they will all be moved back out to the tractor and it will be on the move again. The winter colony will be 4x12, so smaller, but I think they should be okay as only the does live in there, they get along well, I wean at 6 weeks and only have one litter at a time. Also there will be alot of levels, as mine seem to like to climb and go up alot I'm going to use boxes in the corners to try and keep it a bit cleaner. So far in the tractor keeping the potty corners clean is pretty easy, lots of straw, I'll continue that. I'll take pictures this weekend, hopefully I'll finih and have the rabbits in.

Back