UPDATE Converting dog crate to rabbit cage *advice needed*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sireenica

Reaction score
Update:

I have decided that I will get the most space converting a dog crate I acquired cheap (in pieces)
The crate is 48x30x36
Question- I am ordering a wire bottom from Klubertaz- The bottom is about $40 to ship. HOWEVER I could order 2 pieces 30x24 and save on shipping- I would then have to wire those to each other and to the crate.

I am wondering how safe and effective this would be, or if I should scrap the idea all together and stick with the 48x30 panel.

The plastic wall could be swapped with wire- I was going to do plastic with no edges exposed so it wouldnt be chewed and it could double as another door for easy cleaning

I hope its ok I am reposting this, I realized I put it in the wrong section

In an attempt to keep cost low and use materials I have on hand I was thinking of adding 14 gauge wire mesh to the bottom of my dog crate as a rabbit home.

Question 1: How corrosive is rabbit urine? Would it take the black paint off the dog crate? (its the kind they come coated in from the manufacturer)

Question 2: if it chewed on the cage wire would the paint coating be dangerous to the rabbit?

I have a 36x24x24 crate (it fits my 45lb dog) I know I will need to upgrade eventually but is this big enough for a Giant Angora (up to 12lb) initially?

Doesn't really answer your questions, but you could add 1/2" hardware cloth to the sides to prevent chewing. Some may disagree, but the size should work for a while, my 10# New Zealand does did fine kindling and raising young in that size. Up to 10 kits until weaning at 6 weeks old. Not totally ideal, but better than I have seen some.

From my experience, the rabbit urine itself will not take the paint off the crate, but it will calcify and coat the crate to a point where any attempts to get it off would ruin the paint. If it was sold for dogs, it is probably non toxic paint. My main worries (other than what a pain it would be to clean) would be that the gaps in the side were large enough that if a rabbit spooked, it could easily get its legs caught in the cage and break them.

SableSteel":k5efr4c5 said:
From my experience, the rabbit urine itself will not take the paint off the crate, but it will calcify and coat the crate to a point where any attempts to get it off would ruin the paint. If it was sold for dogs, it is probably non toxic paint. My main worries (other than what a pain it would be to clean) would be that the gaps in the side were large enough that if a rabbit spooked, it could easily get its legs caught in the cage and break them.

Whoa I didn't even think of that- I can line it with a cheap wire mesh- maybe even chicken wire since it would be less of a barrier and more of a gap filler- that would be easy to cut too.
I know people who make the cages out of the Nic cubes and they dont seem to have problems with gaps.

As for the taking off the paint- I'm not a fan but as long as it doesnt get too rusty to clean I don't really care. I just want it to be rabbit safe.

I also just got a response from a person selling a huge stainless steel dog crate (48x36x30) in pieces for $30- I might just slap a pre made bottom on that thing and call it a day. Zip tie it shut for easy take apart for cleaning. Add chicken wire for the gaps- you know this might just work.

I don't suppose there is some safe spray I can use for rust then is there? Like a coating?

Latest posts

Back