Consistency in meat rabbits.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy

Reaction score
The girls done good last night...LOL. :p

Two senior does and three 1st-time does kindled with no difficulties. AND no misses.

#45 delivered her ninth litter without a miss. She had 11 and saved 11.
#58 had her eighth litter. 9 born and 9 saved. She's had one previous miss.

I cannot recall the three 1st-timers' numbers.
one had 10 and saved 10. (she's a daughter of #45)
another had 9 and saved 9.
the last one had 8 and saved 8.

47 kits were born.....47 survived. All look to be well fed and wiggly.

Nice clean nests with plenty of fur pulled and no "poop" in the nest.
All of the girls were calm and quiet when I checked the youngsters.
No aggressiveness of any form.

A couple of newborns were to the small side, but they were in the litter of 11.

I've got 6 more due the 19th. Nest boxes in tonight.

Grumpy.

Congrats! I had 4 litters over the past couple of days;
2 born, both alive
6 born, all still fine
5 born, 4 survived
15 born, 14 survived (we fostered 6 to other mothers)

DBA":2h1xkzn4 said:
Congrats! I had 4 litters over the past couple of days;
2 born, both alive
6 born, all still fine
5 born, 4 survived
15 born, 14 survived (we fostered 6 to other mothers)
Nice DBA!! Congats!!

That's awesome grumpy!! I wish I had the room for that! I also wish I can one get my knowledge in rabiits like you have, with you diy projects too!!

lereg15":30tc8bb0 said:
That's awesome grumpy!! I wish I had the room for that! I also wish I can one get my knowledge in rabiits like you have, with you diy projects too!!

Thanks....I've been doin' this for quite a few years. I try to share my
mistakes as well as my successes. We can all learn a lot from both.

I've bred for consistency in my herd and I'm close to achieving it. What
pleases me the most is the fact that the does saved every youngster. That
says a lot about the line that I'm working with.

I know I broke the golden rule of "quarantine" but four out of the five litters
were sired by the two TAMUK bucks that arrived the night before on the 14th of April.

Grumpy.

Susie570":3p7sij0b said:
It will be interesting to hear how the TAMUCK litters do compared to the others...

The TAMUK's are intriguing.. in use now for about a year, they ''seem'' to produce
youngsters that finish a little sooner. And, my dress-out percentages have increased
by over 2%. There's been no aggressiveness shown on their part... nor in any of the
young does held back for breeding purposes..(bred back to my lines)

I've heard some negatives about the pure TAMUK does in not displaying good
mothering abilities, reluctance to breed... and stay bred. No aggressive tendencies
thus far. But given what I've heard, I'm more apt to use the bucks as a blend for
my genetics and using them as first time cross.. or only for meat production.

Grumpy.

Excellent payback for years of work and trials. As Hannibal used to say on the A-Team, "I love it when a plan comes together"!

Congrats on your successes! I am new to this and started off with 2 Tamuk does, 1 Tamuk buck, and 1 Cali doe. One of my Tamuk does got pregnant first time with a litter of 4 and 4 successes, then followed with 3 false pregnancies, pulling full on all around 2-3 weeks. She was very aggressive and with the combined misses, we couldn't keep her. Our second Tamuk has averaged 8 in 4 litters, but has had some aggressive tendencies and a couple of misses now back to back, and is scaring our sweet Tamuk buck with her mean grunting and lunging when I put her in with him. She won't lift. Meanwhile my Cali has been awesome, several litters of 9-10 and had a litter of 11 Friday and all are good so far. Would like suggestions for another doe, I love the traits that the Tamuk have, but personally have had not good success with them except for my Tamuk buck with my Cali. Thank you!

Back