Colours?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoonSpiritMom

Reaction score
Ok I'm slowly learning about colour genetics....

The majority of my rabbits, including my buck are Chinchilla coloured. I have 4 that are this colour.. and 1 who is a californian cross so is cali coloured.

Now as i see it.. Chinchilla is a form of Black/Brown gene.. either BB or Bb... the brown gene being bb. So my kits that come from chinchilla coloured parents... could have the brown gene? it would be recessive correct?

Buck :

Does to my litters:

I'm not expecting anything other then chin coloured kits from these two litters.. but I'm trying to understand the colour genetics.

Or am i completely wrong about these rabbits being chinchilla coloured?

I have a Giant Chin cross doe.. What would she be then? dark chin? is this a thing?

Chinchilla is produced by is agouti(A) on the A locus, and cchd on the C locus.
B(B or b) on the B locus will produce black based chins. Two recessive "b"s on that locus will produce chocolate chinchilla.
They can also be affected by dilution to produce blue chins, or both bb and dd to produce lilac chinchillas.

Your dark chin might be a silver tipped (AKA chinchilla) steel. It can be harder to tell with chins, since heavily ticked chinchilla steels can still have a white belly color, although it should at least be reduced somewhat...

The rabbits are mixes and i have no idea about their parents.. so i can't speak to thier colour lines.

The Giant Chin is mixed with a Flemish. and the other rabbits shown (my mother does and buck) i was told were NZ/Flem ..but they aren't very big for being over 1 year old. its doesn't matter cuz I'm just eating the kits anyways.

Ok so I'll look up Agouti colour genes then to try and confuse myself even more.

I think you might be confusing chestnut, which are mostly brown with some black and have a cream belly with "Brown" that is on the B-locus and is called "chocolate" = bb

Chestnut rabbits are one of the most dominant colours, hence all the capital letters -- A_ B_ C_ D_ E_
but if you change the C-locus to the recessive dark shaded gene you get chinchillas. -- A_ B_ cchd_ D_ E_

If I am mistaken and you think your rabbits could have the chocolate gene then yes,

If you breed a buck that is ---A_ Bb cchd_ D_E_

To a doe that is -- A_ Bb cchd_ D_ E_

Then you could get some chocolate chinchilla kits -- A_ bb cchd_ D_ E_

I haven't even gotten that far in my research. I was on a website that broke down the different colour genes very very simply and did not go into tons of detail.

My kits are grey... like mom and dad. the first fur is very dark though.. I'm assuming they will lighten up as they grow.

I'm trying to find the website i was learning from. thought i'd get the simple basics down first.. then add to my knowledge later.

macksmom98":38jqpz3k said:
Can you get a Chinchilla from a blue and broken tri-tort?

If the rabbit is a broken tri-tort (ej- aa) then no, you can't get a chin. You could however get a chin if the rabbit is a tri (ej-A). It would be a long shot however because one of the parents would have to carry chin and the other would have to carry either chin, ch or c AND the blue would have to contribute E and the tri would have to contribute A.

Hmmm interesting. I have a kit who looks a little
like it may be starting to have a salt and pepper look,
but also looks a lot of grey (blue). Guess we will see as it gets older!

Back