Register

Color Crossing Rules...fabulous resource!

A place to ask about rabbit colours and to discuss rabbit genetics -- and how to breed for the desired results.
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 500.00

Re: Color Crossing Rules...fabulous resource!

Post Number:#16  Unread postby guardianoasis » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:39 pm

I found this a long time ago in my search of rabbit genetic colors.

I'm assuming this works for all breeds of rabbits, not just mini rex?

Also, as someone who breeds to show (ultimately), I've found there some variety in the different SOPs for breeds. For example the chinchilla color on an American Chinchilla has more of a salt and pepper look where as my Satins have an all over medium grey. Would you say that this is because of additional genes or just selective breeding?
Currently breeding American Chinchilla and Satin rabbits.
Guardian Oasis Website Guardian Oasis Facebook

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 15,032.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby alforddm » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:26 pm

It's due to both modifiers and coat type. Just like chinchilla rex and American Chin have a different look. Also, consider castor in rex. It has a complete different look than most breeds chestnut but genetically, they are the same. The difference is the modifiers that have been selected for to create the darker coat in rex.

4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 4,088.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby SableSteel » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:51 pm

American chinchillas aren't supposed to have a salt and pepper look. They're supposed to have a lot of contrast between the tip and intermediate color (which gives the distinctive surface color) but it's supposed to be almost more wavy than salt and peppery. With satins, the hair shaft is slightly transparent, so the surface color and intermediate color blend together more and you get that more even gray color. It's partially selective breeding (american chins have more distinctive surface color than, say, mini lops) but also largely due the fur structure.
Show Breeder & ARBA Registrar

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 500.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby guardianoasis » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:14 pm

alforddm wrote:It's due to both modifiers and coat type. Just like chinchilla rex and American Chin have a different look. Also, consider castor in rex. It has a complete different look than most breeds chestnut but genetically, they are the same. The difference is the modifiers that have been selected for to create the darker coat in rex.

SableSteel wrote:American chinchillas aren't supposed to have a salt and pepper look. They're supposed to have a lot of contrast between the tip and intermediate color (which gives the distinctive surface color) but it's supposed to be almost more wavy than salt and peppery. With satins, the hair shaft is slightly transparent, so the surface color and intermediate color blend together more and you get that more even gray color. It's partially selective breeding (american chins have more distinctive surface color than, say, mini lops) but also largely due the fur structure.

I had considered coat type and structure to make somewhat of a difference, I just didn't know how much.
Currently breeding American Chinchilla and Satin rabbits.
Guardian Oasis Website Guardian Oasis Facebook

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,455.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby akane » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:45 am

The short coat of a rex is going to have a slightly different impact on the appearance of the same colors even without the more rex specific modifiers. I think castor is also held to a bit higher standard than chestnut often is in various breeds due to how heavily the specific shade has been selected for. I can't say it mattered half as much what I mixed chestnut with in the other breeds I kept that had chestnuts but you cross a castor rex to the wrong things and you'll immediately have a change in the amount of rufus (red) modifiers and possible weird banding or under color that drops your rabbits in placing on show tables. Various breeds also put different points to things. With rex or satin the coat is the major defining trait of the breed while in something like netherland dwarf the size and type are and then in other breeds provided you don't have an outright DQ or unhealthy look to them the rabbit with the worst example of coat or color could end up winning their breed category sometimes.

It's far easier to just plain not cross agouti rex and a select few other colors and buy good examples of the color from a line bred specifically to produce the same results instead. Red is a common one in several breeds that you don't want to cross much, if at all, due to the shade usually being quite specific from extremely dark to what looks like it should be a dilute(dd) orange rather than a red and some requiring the wideband gene that gets rid of the agouti belly and makes a red look like a self. It's just not the most fun way to do it if you like color genetics instead of perfecting one color. Partially why I went for the self colors except for chinchilla ND that I used more in my ermine/frosty projects (not a recognized group of show colors in any breed as far as I know) and trying to find american chinchillas. If I liked working on one pure color I wouldn't have ended up with a silvered tort. :lol: The argente breeds are broken up by color and only the same color bred to the same color is the same breed. Creme d'argent that is basically a very light red with silver genes crossed to champagne d'argent that is black with silver genes gets you chestnuts (st hubert breed) and torts with silver(not a breed). Among other possibilities since they are rarely pure and even if they only have argente breeds in their background champagne is often used to help establish new lines of blue and chocolate with the scarce bruns and bleus available out there.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

Previous