Color confirmation

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaytonHillRabbits

Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to get confirmation on the color of the broken doe I've kept back from my last litter... I think broken cream (Dam is cream, sire is Broken Blue) but just wanted the expert's opinion before I fill out her pedigree. Thanks!

Also... would the other kit be cream or fawn? (I'm still confused by the difference)

Smutty orange is something I've never heard of? I'm going to post a photo of the mother of these kits as well as I'm now thinking she is in fact NOT a cream, but a fawn or "orange".

So what do you think about the doe? I'm so confused.. haha!

Smutty orange as well. In lops, fawn is MUCH lighter. Let me see if I can find a comparison picture for you. <br /><br /> __________ Fri May 13, 2016 1:05 pm __________ <br /><br /> http://www.gbfarm.org/rabbit/holland-co ... band.shtml

Has fawn, red, cream, and orange. Smut refers to the dark ticking on the body, ears, nose, etc of the rabbit. The fawn is down the page a bit with a broken fawn/orange subtitle. Hope this helps.

Oy... ok... so on a pedigree would you pen the color as Orange or Smutty Orange? Thank you very much for the help!

You would just put orange on the pedigree. And btw if those are Holland lops, Fawn is no longer considered a color, it is just orange according to the ARBA. (It was recently changed)

Fawn is just not showable, does not mean it isn't a color. It is like harlequin not being showable. There's a big difference.

It would just be Orange as Easy Ears said, however you could note in a comments section that it was smutty coloring. Some people really like to know tid bits like that.

Rebel.Rose, I was under the impression that they consider any HL "fawn" to be an orange, it isn't that they aren't showable. I believe they are keeping cream...on the ARBA website it says they removed fawn from the SOP--for Hollands only.

Fawn is too light to be orange bit different in structure, hard to explain if not seeing in person, different ruffus modifiers. Its like saying a red is just an orange. I've seen some people say that oranges and fawns are the same, but they had very little understanding of how modifiers work and bands. Red and cream are being kept, main issue with fawn is their show numbers dropped. They are no longer showing as many as need to keep the color, when that happens the color is dropped from SOP. It can happen in any breed. <br /><br /> __________ Sun May 15, 2016 9:44 pm __________ <br /><br /> Orange: A_ B_ C_ D_ ee + rufus mods
Fawn: A_ B_ C_ D_ ee
Cream: A_ B_ C_ dd ee
Red: A_B_C_D_ee ww

With out the modifiers Orange and Fawn are the same, but modifiers change that. Unless they are exactly the same geno, not same color. I guess to some that may be a matter of opinion even though as stated, its like saying red is the same as orange to me.

Oh yes, I understand the genetics and realize the color difference, I was just stating the SOP has now removed the color, and I was under the impression that "once fawns" are now orange when showing and on pedigrees-- they are just shown as orange?

Pedigrees are written by pheno type, not geno. So imo not going to happen with majority. It may after some time, but there will be pedigrees for a long time with fawn listed on them. Its like when a "black" isn't a black but a self chin or super dark seal...but as far as pheno goes, its a black rabbit. Noting the genetic code helps, plus of course getting the correct color. Even the pedigree programs have colors that are similar but only different by a few modifiers.

Latest posts

Back