color check- steel?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reverie

Reaction score
This little rabbit is out of a broken sable rex and a californian (breed). what color is this rabbit? I'm thinking the cal carries the steel gene (he would be Ese?) <br /><br /> __________ Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:32 pm __________ <br /><br /> these pics show the hair shafts

Attachments

• color1.jpg
    color1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,225
  • color4.jpg
    color4.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1,224
  • color5.jpg
    color5.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 1,224
Looks like a broken sable steel! my favorite color (if you can't tell lol) <br /><br /> __________ February 10th, 2018, 9:37 am __________ <br /><br /> The cal might be EsEs. e is not particularly common in them. Also, if the call has any NZ ancestry, then its even more likely than the steel came from the cal, since NZ often have the steel gene

lol what is that genetically? and... I don't want steel, would I be able to breed that out or would it haunt me for generations?

A_ B_ cchlch D_ EsE Enen
The same as a normal broken steel, except sable instead of full color (C)

What colors are you breeding for?

Steel does not express with self colors, so breeding it back to sable/cals you would stop seeing steel rabbits... but the steel gene would likely still be there, so if you ever crossed it out to an agouti or otter you could get steel babies

I agree - it's a sable chinchilla steel

This means your Califonian is agouti based, if you breed your sable to a self based Califorina (or self based REW) you should only get sables, and himi/Cali or REW, depending what recessives the sable and Cali carry

If you want to keep back kits and be 100% sure they don't carry steel, you have to keep back clean agouti animals with defined ring color, or any that are harlequin or non-extension colors like red or tort.

Latest posts

Back