Colony summer heat prep?.. Shearing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blenny

Reaction score
So, we are starting to see our thermostat raise more and more, and in the next month I expect to be battling the 90-105 spikes that come...

I have the normal ways to keep rabbits cool in the summer, but was wondering?. Is there anything to be gained in terms of heat resistance if one sheared down a Californians coat even down to almost nothing for the hot er than hades weeks?? I know it isn't a super thick coat. To begin with..

I know angora people do this.... Thought?

Angoras have a whole lot more hair than Cals do, and angora hair is warmer than wool. When I shear an angora, I cut it down to about where a normal coat like cals would be.

I don't know about rabbits, but I know that shorthaired cats can actually overheat more easily if they get shaved. Their fur acts like insulation for both warmth and cold. I would figure that a normal rabbit coat should be fine...Angoras have a LOT of hair.

My lionheads seem to be handling the heat better than any of my other rabbits. =/
I'm wondering if you just shaved a stripe or two on their bellies, if that would help any....if they laid in water pails then, they would cool faster or leaned on frozen bottles....hmm

I groom a few heavy-coated dogs, and in summer I often naked-shave their tummies so if they get hot, they can lie down on cool floor or something. Their owners really notice the difference in panting and lethargy when hairy and being more active and happy when naked-tummy-shaved. And since it's their tummy it's invisible unless they sprawl on their backs, LOL!

Back