Colony ponderings - Who to keep?:P

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zab

Reaction score
I'm just writing my ponderings down. Feel free to add input :)

I have 4 adult does and 6 kits atm. Or wait, I lied.. I have some 30 kits but 6 of them are does from litters I want to spare a couple ;)

Adults:

Spira. She won't stay long though, after this surprise litter (that was welcomed) she'll move to freezer camp. Too much of a temper, insecurity and such, but gives nice kits.

Sotöra - She's a keeper. Very nice. A bit timid. Unrelated to Peta or Kori or the buckling from Spiras litter that I'll save. Might be grumpy towards new does but I think she'll play nice.. I hope so. Carries steel.

Dill - Not sure. She's a pretty doe but doesn't like company of other rabbits and is afraid of me.. she wasn't the other week, but after moving to the grow out pen she's skittish. She may be kept in the smaller wall-cage. Unrelated to Peta and buckling.

Tistel - Full sister to Dill but younger and friendlier. Also pretty. She'll stay, she works well with all other rabbits this far.

So, it's 2 does + kits. I plan to open up to the whole colony.

But how many kits should I keep? I want at least one of the black kits and probably two of the spotted ones. But that's an uneven number.. I like even numbers. They seem to bond in pairs.

The colony is ca 150sqft if I open both pens and make it to one colony, which I want to.

Part of me wants to keep all kits for now and decide later when I see how they go together and to keep them accustomed to being a bit crowded. So they won't get all aggressive if a newcomer comes, because they're super-tight. Like the sisters are.

Spira has supercute agouti checkered kits.. I'd like to keep a doe there. But it would be daughter to my only solid buck, and sister to the buckling.. I guess I could line breed for meat. hm. Depends on how her temper is, Spira will probably raise them to be nasty. (which is why her manteled bucklings are raised in Sotöras litter)
If I keep two of the black doelings instead of one, I'd get even numbers. They're unrelated to my bucks too. Well, both current litters are. And I can't get new ones with the same heritage since their sire is no more and their mothers will be sold. Same with the spotted kits.

If I keep two black and two spotted I'll have 4 solid - which can be bred to both bucks, and 2 spotted which I'd rather just breed to Peta to avoid charlies. I really would like more colour in the colony..

Or.. I could keep one of Dills kits. They're solid agouti. So it would bring colour to the colony and be possible to breed with both bucks... except they're Petas daughters and half-sisters to the new buckling. I dislike linebreeding, can you tell? But for meat only (as if I ever actually manage to sell any) and one line.. well why not?

I do like to have a colourful colony :p

So.. Tistel (black, dark silvery looking), Sotöra (Black), 2 spotted kits, 1 solid black kit and 1 agouti kit, where the agouti is the only one related to the bucks. Does that seem like a good plan?

Would it be bad to cross the agouti kit with her half brother?

20140124-194335jpg.jpg

The new buckling (or one of 4 I'll chose from, I believe 3 are bucks). Broken agouti with steel, I'm told. Awfully pretty, in my opinion :p

How about father-daughter? :) I'm thinking I could keep the manteled kit that I think is a doeling instead.. I'll see what I do, but... it would be nice..:)

__________ Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:22 pm __________

Hm.. seems I won't have to worry about relations to the buck too much - I just got an offer on a tan belgian hare buck for free, from the breeder I got Peta! :)

...But that means.. I could re-concider the whole situation. Hmmm.. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:50 pm __________ <br /><br /> And here he is.. meet Loki :)

1800390_632504243451288_1753157948_n.jpg

I wouldn't worry about breeding daughter to father but only once, otherwise your risk inbreeding % getting to high. Only once and make sure you breed out for the offsprings future coverings to offset htat :)

Back