colony floor

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinnia

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Our colony is 8 X 16 feet, built of framed fencing panels. The floor is chicken wire (they dig right through, but we knew they would). This has been our starting pen. We raised 2 bucks and three does in it through summer, fall and winter. Now the does are raising litters and we need to move on to the "real" colony structure. So, we'll be starting to build a bigger, more efficient space for everyone.

The details are coming together about the structure itself, but I have an idea for the floor that I want to run past you all.

New construction, likely surface bonded cinder block, slightly bermed...

The floor:

Several inches of large rock/rubble, several more inches of smaller rock, topped with sand. Deep bedding method to be used over all of this. For refreshing deep bedding, we will rake away all bedding to the sand - maybe add more sand as needed, and layer new bedding.

My goal is drainage and inability to dig.

Will this work?

Thanks!

Zinnia

They will dig through the sand and small rock but probably not throught larger bits.

Even with deep bedding the urine will eventually saturate the sand, it cannot be rinsed without washing away the sand and will be a stinky mess especially in high heat and humidity.

I'd recommend paving it with patio stones or pavers to give the bedding a chance to absorb the urine and an abity to scrub the floor once in a while, also helpful if a disease outbreak happens.

Back