Colonie?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A colony is a group of rabbits living together. They can be does only or does with a buck. Or growers. Mature bucks generally don't work well together (although I've heard of examples where it did work out).

A colony can be housed in different ways. I suppose the most common type is a ground colony, either on pasture, on dirt or on concrete. Mine are all on the ground, some on concrete, some on wood.

A colony can be kept in a large enough hutch, I know of at least one person keeping a colony in a 3 level hutch, adding space by having it in levels.

Or a colony could even be kept in a row of hanging wire cages that's open and wide enough to allow smooth passage between the rabbits.

Space is an important factor, the rabbits need to be able to get away from each other in a chase and to move about. Using shelves, hide-outs and other ''urniture'' helps breakig up the space and keep the rabbits out of each others faces when they feel less social. In the wild, rabbits keep their own holes and stops in the warren, they need the privacy option in captivity as well. Different levels, tunnels to hide in or boxes are usually appreciated.

Not every rabbit functions well in a colony, and not every rabbit likes every other rabbit. But when there is a dynamic, happy group, it's a good thing :)

Back