cold weather success story

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noobious

Reaction score
So impressed by my rabbits I had to share with other rabbit people, since there are none others in my town. The temperature here in Montana dropped from 5 to 25 below 0 overnight, I went out expecting my newest batch of babies to be frozen.
bit of trouble with this batch, their mom got spooked when she was feeding them and pissed all over them and her pulled fur when they were 1 week old, so they've been inside for about a week. I only started leaving them outside with her a few days ago now that they're furry. They're 2.5 weeks now, tipped the box yesterday cause 1 hopped out the other night and died. No fur in there anymore.
Dead kits? I think not. All 7 were hopping around chasing after their moms nips squeaking and lively . This is my first experience with rabbits in the cold, and I was just really surprised they made it. I'll never doubt a rabbits cold weather hardiness again

Thanks for sharing your success story. I'd say that doe is a keeper. We've managed this year to get all the rabbit we want in the freezer and still have just the breeding stock since the beginning of December to carry through and start having litters again in late winter or early spring.

I guess rabbits don't have problem getting pregnant in cold weather but only in hot weather.

SarniaTricia":3fvwunup said:
I have 3 litters due Dec28th in an unheated horse barn....
No problems getting pregnant this time... It will be kitting that makes me nervous! Hoping all the mamas hit the nest box and pull lots of fur in anticipation!

If they dont pull alot of fur like mine sometimes dont. I keep alot of cotton balls on hand.

bigfoot_158":1ig23u1l said:
SarniaTricia":1ig23u1l said:
I have 3 litters due Dec28th in an unheated horse barn....
No problems getting pregnant this time... It will be kitting that makes me nervous! Hoping all the mamas hit the nest box and pull lots of fur in anticipation!

If they dont pull alot of fur like mine sometimes dont. I keep alot of cotton balls on hand.

THANK YOU!!!!
I will be getting some tonight!!!
(Already have a doe pulling fur and stashing!)

Noobious":1vuqbwfl said:
bit of trouble with this batch, their mom got spooked when she was feeding them and pissed all over them and her pulled fur when they were 1 week old,

NO MAMA DID NOT PEE ON THEM!!!!!!

Good grief, it amazes me that so many folks keep perpetuating this fallacy!!!!

Those of us that handle our kits from birth can tell you that WHAT GOES IN MUST COME OUT!!!!! In other words, the doe feeds the babies and they get great big milk bellies, then, the baby on top gets nudged or something and that now-full bladder let's go, drenching everyone below which causes their bladders to empty too.

For those that need proof, bring a nestbox in one evening just after mom has fed, then about 10 minutes later pull the babies like you are doing a health check and see how many pee on you. A rag towel would be a good idea LOL

As for the first week, the pee does not harm the babies, then the second week you can change out the stuffing with fresh as the babies are furred and only need hay to keep warm.

BTW you will be amazed at how much pee one baby can generate!!!

Back