Cold weather litter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marinea

Reaction score
So, a first time doe kindled early this morning, right when the cold weather hit. She made a nest, and pulled a bit of fur, but did not cover the kits. By the time I found them, all 10 were cold and apparently lifeless.

I took them inside, tossed a towel in the dryer, and warmed it up. I placed the kits in the dryer on the warm towel, and crossed my fingers. After 90 minutes of repeating the process, I was able to save four of the kits. I made sure they got a good meal just now, and they are resting comfortably in my guest room.

Just a reminder that "warm and dead" can make all the difference.

They would arrive on just about the coldest night of the winter so far . . . and that's saying something. You did well to save four. :goodjob:

For our members new to rabbits:
The first time I heard that maxim "They're not dead until they're warm and dead", I was very doubtful. But experience soon showed me that quite often you can bring them back. Have a plan in mind before you need it, so you don't waste precious minutes having to get things together.

My first ones I actually just stuck in a plastic container and floated it in a pot of water on the stove very low because heck it's the quickest source of heat in the house. A stove is instant warmth and the burners are the most adjustable part.

Back