cold weather for the weenies on the west coast!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eco2pia

Staff member
Reaction score
After all my grasshopper-like unconcern about winter, we just went from lows in the mid 40's to highs in the 20's, high wind advisory, and they are calling for 6 degrees the night my first time doe is due to kindle. :shock: THIS NEVER HAPPENS HERE! And never this early!!

The doe has a lovely nest built in a wooden nest box, so it isn't really her I am concerned about, it is the bucks. They are in a two hole hutch with an open front, I stuffed a couple of hay filled cardboard boxes in there but they are mostly jumping on top, flinging them around. I spread a good bit of hay on the bottom of the cage to give them some extra insulation, they can lay against one and other with wire between...

But the whole cage has air circulation around it. The way I built it there is a wire box in a metal box, and the whole thing comes apart to clean...should I cover the top and sides with more cardboard, do you think, to keep the wind chill down? The front too? They will spray it stinky, but I can just compost it when it thaws...

Or am I being a weenie? 6 degrees though, that is pretty cold anywhere, right?

Can you use clear plastic stapled to the top
and dropped down in front as a wind block?
It could be raised weather permitting.
I cover the ends and backs of my outside cages
with clear plastic and a drop-down in the front.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

You can keep that stuff over there. We are having a nice warm Nov of 20F at night and 40-50F during the day. It's a heat wave. :lol: I haven't seen yet how the does due in cold weather. We have kits due starting the 3rd but I bred the doe I have in the house just in case something goes wrong and I have to foster the kits.

ottersatin":1ygcucn6 said:
Can you use clear plastic stapled to the top
and dropped down in front as a wind block?
It could be raised weather permitting.
I cover the ends and backs of my outside cages
with clear plastic and a drop-down in the front.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Exactly what I used for years in my outdoor operation the first time around. Tack it to the frame at the top, and tack a 2X4 on the bottom end to keep it from flopping around, and at the very least it will keep the wind off your bunnies, bucks included.

And when you go out to water them, use warm water (NOT hot water!). Your rabbits will appreciate it.

Thanks guys! yes, I have been giving warm water, and they do like it, they seem fine so far but I think I will take everyones' advice and add a drop to the front of the cage. The doe's hutch has the roof sloped toward the front so the open side is much smaller and less likely to catch the wind but the boys not so much....

Everybunny needs protection from the wind. I'd add a drop down in front of the doe's cage too.

It's a little pricey, but I really like using sheets of that foil bubble insulation for blocking wind.

Hehe, we're about as "West Coast" as it gets and we just wrapped up a week or so of temps in the teens and single digits. Now it's 35 and raining.

If the rabbits are properly conditioned and kept out of the wind and have a nice wooden resting board, they will be fine. You, however, will go insane switching out water bottles/crocks two to three times a day. (Three times is best, especially with water bottles. Those spouts freeze fast!)

I've been feeding all of my rabbits a good tablespoon or so of sunflower seeds every day since september to keep them in condition. This is my first winter here with them, i'm hoping their metabolism is burning the fat off fast enough that I won't have any problems breeding the does when I decide to do that.

I actually thought of you up in Alaska when I typed that! :lol: Puget Sound just usually keeps us too warm here to worry. We generally have a week in late Jan. of low 20's or teens, but that is it...

And I added BOSS at the start of last week, and added crocks of water today, and they are now calling for just the teens...Yay! Sounds like we are good, they aren't even using their nest boxes, but they love perching on top! :)

Latest posts

Back