'Clucking' doe - won't allow buck to mate

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbgb1912

Reaction score
So my fawn doe is rather a bit of a prude.

She makes 'clucky' noises like a hen would do. I'm assuming this is her way of showing she's grumpy? She'll make those noises not only around my buck, but also when I let her out to run around and go to pat her also. She never shows signs of aggression with me, or my buck, but she's absolutely horrible with my other doe. She'll squeal and chase and pull fur from her.

She won't allow my buck to mate with her when I put them in together, I've tried several times but each time she runs away from him making those noises. He'll chase and chase and chase her but she just won't let him. What could the cause of this be? How can I get them to mate? As soon as I see her getting agitated, I take her away and leave it at that until next time.
They're fine together when I let my buck out to run around the yard, they'll follow each other around the cage, rubbing up against each other and bunting but when they're together she'll run from him chirping.

She's coming up 6 months old now, so she should definitely be ready. And she's definitely a she :lol:

I'm extremely disappointed, I bought her purely to have kits with my buck to bring me different colours. :angry:

I had the same problem with a young doe that I have. Tried 4 days in a row from the morning to the evening. She would just run around and make a grunting sound. I checked her and she seemed ready. She would actually raise up and lift her tail when I would stroke her back. I read somewhere on here about apple cider vinegar and gave it a try after a week I put them together again and she started out by doing the same thing but for only a few seconds, after that it was on. She had a litter of 11 three weeks ago.

Check her vent to see if she looks ready. If so, you could always give him some 'assistance' by holding her for him.

Sometimes if you can get them to stop mid-run the buck can get the job done. I actually prefer if they run around, it seems in my experience that they are more likely to mate rather than those that just sit there.

I have a "Clucking" doe who won't lift for my buck, and is pretty aggressive. So it usually takes about a week for the apple cider vinegar to do it's thing?
Never tried the vinegar before...
Would it do any harm to wait a week and try again? I'm not sure if she did get bred or not... so if she did get bred, and I go try again in a week...would it harm the unborn babies etc?

Who else has used vinegar?

I have two does that got clucky when I tried to breed them on the second day... So I figured the deed was done on day one (one I know for sure, the other we'll see).
For my doe that was vocal and upset about it all, I put her away for two days in a crate on the floor where my big buck runs free... He hung around her, marked the crate and generally wooed her... Next time out she lifted--once. LOL

Having the same difficulty with a doe here. She was bred back in February for the first time. She cooperated immediately and had a healthy litter of 6 the next month.

I bred her last month and the deed appeared done once though she was aggressive to him and did not appreciate it. No pregnancy occurred.
I tried to breed her yesterday and today to the same buck as before. Both days she showed major dominance, running, and biting at him. Frustrating since she did so well the first time she was bred. Hoping this does not continue. :?

Back