Chubby has the right idea for keeping cool

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipoGSD

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
So on top of taking turns bringing the buns in today (94 degrees!) to cool down inside with the a/c. We always freeze soda bottles and on really hot days we add a big bowl of ice and add a tiny bit of water for them to drink, dig or stand in.

Check out my chubby enjoying the ice water. His mom also lays/digs in her bowl too. The others dont do it at least as of yet. But we always offer it. Chubby & his mom both have different fur than the rest. So I think they get hotter than the others. Their fur is very plushy..

Chubbys ice is almost melted but we have plenty to revamp it :)

Tomorrow is gonna be another scorcher. We just went to the ice house for a 25 lb bag of ice for tomorrow for them. We will be spending the day dumping water and adding ice and bringing them in & out.

<br /><br /> -- Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:16 pm -- <br /><br /> PS
I wasn't sure where this post fit in. But since its kind of cage/equipment related i posted it here.

I would be concerned bringing them in and out in the heat. Wouldn't that shock their systems?

I find if I ignore them in the heat, providing cooling options to those that need it is sufficient.

I dont think it could shock them. They have a lot of fur so im assuming they cool gradually and dont feel it all at once like we do with bare skin.

Been doing it off and on all summer and they are doing great. Even when bringing them back out in the heat, their fur traps the cool so they warm up slowly not all at once.

If anything laying next to an ice bottle or on the ice would be more of a shock because the ice is colder than our ac, but ice bottles arent an issue either as many people do it/recommend it. Their fur acts as an insulator so they cool slowly with the ice too. :)

Since they look for cool places to lounge when free ranging my garden and house by themself and them being ground dwelling animals I think bringing them to a cool place doesn't shock them at all, imho it just brings relief, only thing I might worry about is if the air is too dry from an ac.

I find my rabbits in the basement, behind the washing mashine, under the work bench, under trees etc., anywhere that's cool.

For those in the hutches I put in this flat 20 and 10l steel fuel cans, filled to the brim with cold water to lie on, and I made flat box from styrofoam with a big 1" thick slab of stone as cover, and put ice packs in the box - keeps the stone cool the whole day.

And of course, shade.

Sure. No bunnies in the pictures, they are in the garden right now, but they like to lie on that stuff, the stone was accepted faster, it is appr. 2 lounging bunnies big :D

4th pic is of the nestbox which is inside the shed (hutches are outside).

They find nice spots in the garden too, like the well.

Kühlung1.JPG
Kühlung2.JPG
Kühlung3.JPG
Kühlung4.JPG
Brunnen.JPG

I used 2 sheets of styrofoam, a 20mm as bottom, and a 50mm sheet with the cutout, I used double sided adhesive tape to join them. As I mentioned, I think the seal on top helps a lot to be efficient and last long.

I cut the sheets so that the stone protrudes on every side somewhat, and no rabbit showed any interest in the foam.

It's not their body temperate that you have to worry about shocking so much as their respiratory system.

The rabbits might be fine being brought into AC in summer, but in winter, bringing them into heat from extreme cold can sometimes be lethal.
I've actually caused pneumonia in a (beautiful) yearling buck once due to this. He was being kept outside in a barn during winter (and was fine) I moved him in a very warm car, and then placed him back outside. Within a few days, he was wheezing with his head tilted upwards, and died gasping, literally, in my arms. :weep:

No other rabbit in the barn he came from (or any of mine) had any problem that winter, and I've since seen rabbits weather MUCH colder and harsher winters with never a single loss to cold (save for a couple kits pulled out of the nestbox on a teat, before I started pulling boxes routinely in winter.)

Interestingly, nestbox kits seem resistant to the temp changes of being moved. I feel it's probably because the fur covering the nest traps heat and humidity, makes sure the air they breath is already warm and humid.

Yeah i remember as a teen i bought a pet rat from the mall pet store. The room they kept them in was very warm and very humid. Needless to say my rat had to go to the vet!

I am glad to know the kits arent likely to be affected by bringing them in and out in the winter tho because i love baby bunnies.. im always bringing them in to love up and let play

Latest posts

Back