Chocolate tort - "Update"

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunrise

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had a dark chocolate tort born with brown skin instead of pink? It's definitely not shaded (positive by test breedings) or should I suspect steel? (no steel in pedigree).

Have found out since, due to a second litter with the same thing, that it is actually a steel with wideband modifiers. Talked to the breeder and the dad is a steel carrier, I knew mom was wideband, just had never bred him to an agouti before to let the steel come out! Got a black one the next litter that was much easier to tell what it was. Very interesting, didn't think that could happen, but after seeing all 4 kits that have it, it makes sense.

Tort is counted as a shaded variety for showing but it's not a shaded variety genetically. Very dark torts can be born with shading, but I've never seen one with 100% dark skin. However, I'm not familiar enough with those really dark ones to be able to answer your question.

Pictures of the kit in question?

Dark Chocolate Tort 2.jpgDark Chocolate Tort.jpgHere she is, both parents are Cc absolutely sure (many litters). But she was born looking the same color as her self chocolate sister. I've never had a tort start out anything but pink... but I've had some people say it's possible.

Back