Chinchilla Color Genetics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattle Cait

Reaction score
Cal is an albinized (albinised? REW-inized?) form of Chinchilla, isn't it? So, if I breed Chin to Cals, it should stand to reason that it will produce more Chins, correct?

:shrug: I'm not sure, but I loved your "REW-inized" :lol: hahaha

sorry, I just found your wit funny. :)

no Cal is not actually Albin-ized it's Himi-nized :)

there are 5 or 6 "C" alleles, more than on any other color locus.

from most dominant to most recessive it is
C -full color
chd - dark chinchilla which combined with agouti gives you chinchilla

chm - is medium chinchilla & I believe that it is what gives you sable. I'm not as familiar with this one as all the others.

chl- some people talk about the light chinchilla gene.Again, I'm not familiar with it.

ch - is the himi gene. this is the one that gives you Californian or Himalayan.

c - is the albino gene it's what gives you REW when paired with itself. It is recessive to all the other color genes

If you pair up these various "color" genes the any heterozygous animal [on that has 2 different alleles of this trait] will show the one that is the more dominant. The other gene will be hidden since is is recessive. Actually this isn't totally true because some there are "shades" that happen with some of the "pointed" animals that I don't know a lot about either.

No cal is black himi. aa B- ch- D- E- but more likely aa BB chch DD EE with no mysteries since they've been bred to be one color for so long. I don't know if there is anyone with blue cals but they would just be dd instead. Chocolate is rarely used on himi because it doesn't show well. You could have a cal looking rabbit that is himi rew (chc) but then we'd get rew from cals frequently. This would be more likely if you were crossing cals and NZW which are rew (cc).

A chin requires an agouti gene A and chin/dark chin cchd or sable/light chin cchl. Both of which cover up himi and make sable or chin that have body color not white with points. However a chin to a cal will make chins and maybe only chins because like I said chin beats out himi so you'd have a bunch of cchd or cchl and ch rabbits that look like chins. If the chins carry nothing else (no self a or other c locus gene) this is all you would get.

Latest posts

Back