Chin vs Agouti

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
Reading a another new thread--(in RRR) a question pops up-- without blowing into the fur to look for ring patterns-- can chin be told from agouti? I know there are basically three 'shades' of AmChins-- and I have seen rabbits sold as Chins that do not have the pearl band-- (a no-no) i Have seen people refer to Red Chins-= or Blue Chins-- but it is my understanding that CHIN means that extra band of pearl on the hair shaft. So are people confusing Chinchilla with agouti?

I'm trying to better learn all these term, could someone please explain Agouti and Chinchilla for a newb, I'll a little overwhelmed trying to sort out all th colors and patterns.

Chinchilla dilutes or erases (depending on strength and starting depth of color) red/brown/tan but doesn't have as much effect if any on black/grey. You can often just see the difference from a distance of a chin versus a regular agouti because you won't see brown. The different base colors that effect which colors are on the band of the hairs of each agouti will also impact how much of the hair is diluted by chinchilla.

chd Dark Chinchilla Allows all 4 dark and only 1 of the 3 yellow pigments to be present. Area becomes white or pearl. Completely dominant over the following c genes.

cchl Light Chinchilla (Shading) Allows 2 of the 4 dark and none of the 3 yellow pigments to be present. This lightens the color to sepia brown. Causes shading effects. Incompletely dominant over the following c genes. Shading is fine-tuned with the color intensifier genes.

mommaebear":1ujv9ddd said:
I'm trying to better learn all these term, could someone please explain Agouti and Chinchilla for a newb, I'll a little overwhelmed trying to sort out all th colors and patterns.

Agouti is the color of a wild cotton tail rabbit.

Chin is just an agouti with no red in its coat, so instead of the wild rabbit color, you get something that looks gray. If you blow down in both coats you will see rings of color like a bull's eye target.

If, however, you were to blow down in the coat of a black or white rabbit, you would see black or white all the way to the skin. There are gray rabbits that have solid color hairs like that, but they are called "blue" and look very different from a chinchilla.

Latest posts

Back