chewing of the cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenora C

Reaction score
Ok Angora experts. I have the boys in wood and wire cages. I have a block of wood in the cage plus a wood chew toy clipped to the cage. They are chewing both....but they are also chewing the wood on the cage it is stained. Any tips to get them to leave the wood on the cage alone?

Wire it off.
Rabbits are meandering grazers, not stationary chewers. It's only natural they'd be nibbling on everything a little here and there all the time.

You can try soaking their chews in salt water for a day or two to make them more palatable. ChickiesnBunnies has soaked branches in mulberry juice. I have been considering doing something similar, but want to try boiling or juicing root vegetables (sweet potatoes, carrots, beets) and soaking the chews in the pot liquor or juice to see if they like it.

You can also give them other things to keep them entertained. Phone books are popular for chewing and shredding, as are paper towel or TP tubes. Stuffing them with hay is even more entertaining. My rabbits also like to play with tuna or cat food cans, and I also give them standard sized cans with both ends cut off. They are also handy stuffed with hay, but they enjoy rolling them around when they are empty too. Of course, make sure to crimp or file any sharp edges on the cans.

You guys are great here. Lots of great ideas! They can have phone books, I wondered about the ink? Wiring is probably in our future.

Lenora C":2kw1x8bx said:
You guys are great here. Lots of great ideas! They can have phone books, I wondered about the ink?

Thanks! We are a great group of rabbit-crazed people here, aren't we? :D Welcome to our world, lol!

Most phone books use soy based inks these days.

When I was at Costco today, I noticed an employee dismantling a large carton, and noticed that it had support members made out of very heavy cardboard- it must have been at least 1/4" thick. Something like that would make a long lasting chew toy also.

Don't forget about tree branches such as apple and willow. More safe plants and trees/shrubs/weeds are listed here:

safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html

Oy, I have found that growing out the BOSS and cutting the spent stalks makes great chew toys for the buns ... especially if there are leaves on their part :D I regularly find the spiney stalk completely stripped of its outter skin LOL

I have some older pine cones that mine play with, but I am talking with a guy about me harvesting some pinecones before they start opening so the buns can have some incentive :p

Rabbits chew wood cages. It's just inevitable that wood will be destroyed. The more you entertain them the longer it takes because they chew less but it still happens. We knew that when we built our wood cage block and after 6months we had a mini rex jump a divider in to a netherland's cage because he ate a chunk of his roof. Most of the rest just nibble a little on the edges so he went to freezer camp for eating my cage so severely and beating up Rhi.

My oldest doe bites at her all-wire cage no matter what I put in there with her. Wiffle balls, baby keys, pine cones, paper towel rolls... she still does it.

Back