Cheeky little monkeys!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Caper Farm

Reaction score
So, Emily had triplets two weeks ago. All of a sudden, Polly, my milking goat who doesn't have kids this year, has no milk in the morning. I scratch my head and then realize that the triplets are sneaking from her! :evil: So, I start taping her teats to foil them.

Hazel had one big single kid on Monday (only 8 days late! :x ) and I figure I'll have to milk her out so she doesn't get over full. No milk this morning - ok, big baby, she's taking all of it. This afternoon, I'm sitting in the pen enjoying the babies, and I see Hazel's kid nursing, then I see one of Emily's sneak under and joyously start nursing (little tails just a-wagging). Tonight, I see three little white tails poking out from under Hazel - and not one of them is her kid! :shock:

Since then, the tune "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" has been running through my head! Any suggestions on names for Emily's two girls?

:lol: Sneak and Thief ;) I've been wanting to tune into that channel for some time now, but Mike always reminds me about the fencing issue and that pesky daily milking. <sigh> Going to have to wait until we get fully moved, I guess.

MaggieJ":16amkelc said:
The little scoundrels! :lol:

Are they just greedy or are they perhaps not getting enough from their own mom?

I would suspect a bit of both. :roll: I'm not going to worry about it if they continue to scrounge - everybody looks well-fed, so nobody is missing out on feeding. Cuts down on my workload too - if I don't want to milk Polly, I don't put tape on her. That just leaves me one goat to milk - she's not letting anybody but her kid nurse and she's producing way more than the kid needs.

Anntann - the fencing is more of an issue than the milking. When the kids are on the mother, you don't have to milk if you don't want to (as long as they're drinking it all). When you do want milk, you separate the kids at night, milk her in the morning, and put them back together for the day. That's what I do!

Back