chaos this morning

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you know that I still have my rabbits in the house in various rooms...craft room, rabbitry(old computer room) and the porch. (rooms are 20x18, 20x16, and porch is 8x35)

We also have chickens in the basement. I'd hatched some marans last October, thinking that I had time to get them out to the farm but it got super cold here in early November and stayed that way, so I never had the chance to get them out...sooooooo they live in the basement in a large fenced area, with lights set to a 16hour day.

Mike brought home one of the hens from the farm who had gotten pecked badly in a fight(back half of her head had the skin ripped off). She was perky and fine...just wasn't able to stay with the other chickens because they kept pecking at her head. So she is in the basement, in an isolation cage, near the penned group.

okay. enough background.

Last night everyone settled down as usual..nice chewing noises as the bunns ate hay, chickens asleep, dog even curled up and slept well...until about 3AM.

THUD! WHOMP! SMASH!..and then thump...thump...THUMP!!! from the rabbit room (just down the hall). Up we jump..race to the room...and find nothing out of place. er? what? um...and then that THUMP!!! from the closet area (no doors on the closet) and there in the back corner is a VERY unhappy Chuck, the floor bunny. He roams around the room and is generally pretty happy hoppy bunny. this morning he somehow triggered the roll of fence wire to tip over(I suspect he was on top of it visiting the three girls in a grow-out cage) and he got trapped behind it. He's sitting there THUMPing and just staring at us like "GET ME OUT you fools!" :roll:

settled back down to sleep..zzzzz...zzzzzz..BARKBARKBARKBARK!!!! Zooooom ou tgoes the dog barking madly. It's now about 6am, ah hour past my normal wakeup time, so..okay. I'm up. Couldn't find a THING wrong. Dog is just going nuts in the livingroom/kitchen..racing around. She finally settled down, and I had breakfast. I could hear some cackling and fuss from the chickens down below, but that's normal during the day, so didn't think anything of it.

Went down to feed and check water a bit later, and there, roosted on the waterer in the big pen is the hen from the farm. :eek: now...the pen is totally enclosed up to the ceiling. Her cage is totally enclosed (i thought). turned out that the cage door was left open, so she went exploring :razz: Somehow and for some reason she went inside the pen. the only way in is by getting over the 5' high door on the front end. She must have started the ruckus that the dog heard, and then found safety roosted up on the waterer. (Her head was badly pecked and bleeding again)

She's fine, btw. Alert, eating, drinking, happy. just...strange looking.

anyway. It's been an odd morning.

oh, and Whitey's kits are out roaming around. Their little beady red eyes making them look like demon spawn. As well as the blue tubs..er, kits from Gladiola have started to roam now. She appears to be trying to herd them back into the nest corner tho. She'll have to give up soon...it's like herding cats.

Heck! I was trying to parody Madeleine to retell your story... but it isn't working. Still, for your amusement, here's a fragment...

In an old house in Wisconsin full of bunnies and chicks
And a dog that knows any number of tricks...
Lived a very nice couple we'll call Mike and Ann
They love their critters as nobody can.

In the middle of the night
Mike and Ann turned on their light
And said: Something is not right!
From the bunny room came a thud and a thump
They left their bed with quite a jump
And afraid of a disaster
Mike and Ann ran fast and faster...

And there in the corner was Chuck the stuck buck.
They helped him out safely away from the gals
And went back to bed just to wake up to howls.

The hen had got lonely and turned herself loose.
Over the gate, she flew like a goose.
There she sat clucking on the water
Pecked and scalped, the others had got her.

Latest posts

Back