Changed The Way I'm Selling

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
So... I'm greedy.

I decided I wanted to make more money off the kits I sell. I didn't want to raise the price, exactly, but I did want to make more money. Here's what I've come up with.

A rabbit, an info packet and my support is 30$. Same price, and essentially what I was selling before.

For 10$ more, the buyer has the option of adding a rabbit care package. This will consist of - a flake of hay, a baggie of food(approx 4 cups), a rabbit garden seed packet(dandelion, oat grass, carrot and leaf lettuce seeds mixed together), and a 7 day health guarantee.

I will be telling the buyers that I have yet to be contacted about a sick rabbit, and that they don't have to buy the care package if they don't want to, however they will not get the health guarantee as spelled out in their info packet.

I have already found a buyer for 2 of the rabbits, and she opted for the care package and told me she was glad I had that available.

I feel like I'm being cheap, or a shady breeder, but the hay alone pays for the extra 10$, as a flake is about 5lbs, and you'd pay that in stores.

What do you guys think?

That sounds great, and it is optional so the buyer can determine the value and buy it if they like.

I always include a bag of food with any animal I sell or give away- rabbit, kitten, or puppy.

I would do it, just for the seeds. Give an option of buying the seeds, seperatly, too - you may have an business, there! or seeds and a flake of hay - at least I would have an idea that the hay is fresh, and has not sat on the shelf of xyz store.

When I was looking at geting the rabbits every single place had the 7-10 stay alive as long as you dont drop,eat,not give water, step on it. And all of them offerd a small bag of food for free most 1/2 cup a rabbit . That said you can not get a 5 pound bag of hay in my area for less then 25.00$ and your seed pack sounds really good. Id say if you focus on extra stuff like that you can probly make 10-15$

I actually had a lot of people refusing the feed I tried to send with previous litters. Or refuse the information packet I tried to send. As far as I'm concerned, both voids the health guarantee anyway. I'm still going to offer a 48 hour health guarantee with all kits sold, but people tend to respond better when there's "additional value". It is completely optional and I intend to make that very clear. If people don't respond well, then I will keep the seeds for myself, and go back to offering a smaller bag of food to the people who will take it.

I just hope that people respond well.

I'll let everyone know how it goes, so if anyone wants to try something similar, they have an idea how it played out here.

Bad Habit":1znubqy6 said:
I actually had a lot of people refusing the feed I tried to send with previous litters. Or refuse the information packet I tried to send.

How odd.

MamaSheepdog":278dpg4e said:
Bad Habit":278dpg4e said:
I actually had a lot of people refusing the feed I tried to send with previous litters. Or refuse the information packet I tried to send.

How odd.

I thought the same thing. I just make sure that they know if they didn't take the info packet and food, they wouldn't have a health guarantee with the rabbit. Some people seem to be very suspicious, though, like I was trying to bamboozle them.

Lol I did not take the food the guy offerd me with the rabbits but I was going to go get a 50 pound bag of it that night and all ready had the hay.<br /><br />__________ Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:32 pm __________<br /><br />And wow they wont take the info its sad how many ppl think o they are just like a hamster.

Great idea, Bad Habit! :goodjob: Not only will it help you increase your profit, you are offering extras that any new rabbit owner should be happy to have. Don't feel you are being greedy. You are just using your head to come up with a plan that is to everyone's benefit: you, the buyer and the rabbit. :D

I personally wouldn't do the 7 day guarantee, because you can't control what they expose the rabbit to. Rabbits can die of fear, they could shove the rabbit in a dogs face and it has a heart attack, no marks on the bunny, and you would end up paying for their stupidity. People can do a lot of harm to a rabbit in 7 days. The care package sounds like a great idea, I often send bags of food with sold rabbits unless they already feed what I do.

I like your thinking as long as it isn't over priced because I have seen some people who sell a "starter package" overpriced as a gimmick to make more money. However my feelings are it should be mandatory to GIVE at least a 7 day health guarantee for any kit sold.

Lol most places/people don't even give out a 3 day health guarantee.

If you buy from the pet store, nada.

If you adopt from a rescue/shelter, nada, and if you report back that your rabbit died, you're likely to end up on their black list(happened to me when I adopted an aged ferret who died 6mths later).

how are you finding this working for you bad habit?

I find lots of people are buying it for different reasons.
some want cheaper hay, others want the extended health guarantee and some just want the birth certificate.

how is it working out overall? What reasons are people giving you?

Most new rabbit owners want the rabbit care package. I find a lot of people who have had rabbits before or have a rabbit currently and are getting a 2nd feel they don't need it. A fair few people say they don't want it, and then when they do some research, change their mind. The 10$ they give me wouldn't even cover the 3lbs of hay if they bought it at the pet store.

I like it.
not only have you found a way to make some extra $$
you are also offering an extra service to your customers.
I have been in the locksmith business for 12 years, and I have found
people are more willing to buy something, than except the same thing for free.
if it is free then it must not be any good. If I had a customer lock their keys in a car. I would offer to make them a spare
key for free. 99 times out of 100 I would be told no thanks.
then I started offering a spare key for $2 to $3 extra and 99 out of 100 would buy a key.
I had a customer tell me once your prices are cheaper than xyz, so your service must not be as good.
some people just do not see a good value unless they pay for it.
I say charge what your market can bear. If they are willing to pay, take the money.

Back