Certain Food?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HannahM130328

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there was a certain type of food/snack that would help kind of "train" your rabbit. Like if he/she was doing a good job sitting still, and you want that for shows, is there a specific treat that you can give them to let them know "yeah, i liked that! keep it up!" ?

:bunnyhop:

I don't really use treats... If they are being still were I need them I leave them alone, if they arent then I tuck them back where they should be and keep doing that until they are still :)

In the summertime John I noticed was eating cherries that fell from the tree. With my cherries I usually depit and then dehydrate - then store for the winters trail mixes.

I'm teaching John how to go over jumps. So I got a bag of cherries out - cut each cherry into 6 pieces - then placed one on the opposite side of the jump.

I had no idea teaching a rabbit to go over jumps would be this easy. Right now John will go over 4 jumps without wondering where his piece of cherry is. LOL

He's really fast at it too because he now knows that there's no cherry after the first 3 - then after the 4th he gets his cherry.

Although I don't think he's going to like the harness when I finally decide to put it on em.

If using food rewards to train any animal, the first thing is to find out what they're really crazy about. One of ours is gaga for pumpkin seeds...the others couldn't be less interested, LOL. Then, make sure you have itty bitty pieces of it: first so they don't overeat and second so they eat it quickly and it doesn't interrupt the training session waiting for them to get it down. Then, keep that treat aside and using it ONLY for training, not for random training or snacks.

Butter crackers ... the generic ritz ... all my bunnies are crack(er) bunnies :p

Latest posts

Back