Cc? cc?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanni

Reaction score
Alright all you rabbit genetics people! You got some 'splainin to do! :) I put a REW doe with a REW buck and got 5 little kits this morning :D However, 4 are pink and one looks like it has tiger stripes! :eek: How does that work?

Thats the 'crapshoot' of breeding! when the unexplained shows up, blame "lady Luck" When things show up as planned, it is 'good science"

A harli hiding out
that isn't REW or cc, that is playing with the extension genes (EjEj) of an Agouti based color, so that the Agouti rings get put 'sideways' into stripes.

But, but, REW has to be _____cc___!! And two REW can only have cc babies!! REW is a double recessive! I agree this makes no sense! In order to have a color other than REW you have to have a C, and it is incapable of coming from a REW...isn't it?

My 14 year old suggests "Maybe a second buck managed to breed her?" XD

I did have another buck out that day, because I try to breed at least 2 does at the same time so if I end up needing a foster mom, I might get lucky. The thing is, the other buck is another REW. The other doe is again REW (so that's 2 REW pairs), but she hasn't had any babies yet. So, I bred Doe A to Buck A and Doe B to Buck B. They are all REW, but different breeds. That's the reason for the 2 different bucks.
I will try to get a photo up soon.

Are there different "whites"? Maybe one white is an albino colorless kind of white and one is an actual color of white? Does that make sense? I know I have different kinds of white in my rabbits. Some are a milk white and some appear to have a lot of transparency to the white hairs.

REW to REW really should make just REW. How old are the kits?

oh and... are either of the REW's out of Himalayan?

wouldn't a c(chl) and c still make a pointed, not a REW?<br /><br />__________ Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:34 pm __________<br /><br />Wait, check the eyes, some have guessed that there are modifiers to pattern like English spot that could be completely white, and maybe a point or chinchilla?? (the semi recessive on the C gene)

I think you all may be onto something. Dontcha love a good mystery? Jack,what is c(chl)? Sable? Seal? If so, then you really may be onto it there. Dad rabbit is all REW on the pedigree. Momma rabbit, wait for it... is out of a sable point sire and a seal dam. Could this be causing the stripey kit? This kit has color on the whisker bed and stripes starting at about the middle back that go all the way around it's tummy. Where the other kits are pink, this one seems to be a more orangey hue. Bumper, that's what I thought, too (REWxREW=REW) There is no himalayan in either pedigree. The kits are only on day 2 (I know, early, but that kit is quite obviously different than its littermates) so eye color is still a mystery.

As far as I know, if the eyes are really red, they are really albino. If they are really albino they can't contribute a non-albino gene in the C position. But a cali is albino with points...and the cali coloring can fade in and out according to temperature--maybe that is what you are seeing. Maybe the mom is actually a pointed with really, really light points and the kit therefore got her pointed gene (ch_) which is incompletely dominant at the C position....?

Someone is not a REW. Are the eyes really red? You can get ermines that are solid white with dark eyes. I think these are cchd instead of cc. A few other patterns could appear white if the markings are too light. Also dilutes like a lilac based rabbit or something would have slightly red eyes which could really make them look like an REW.

I was told, MANY times, that a white rabbit, even with RED eyes, is COLORED white, NOT an albino!! Albinism is a total lack of melanin- the pigment that provides color. So, while a white rabbit can carry the albino gene, an albino rabbit CANNOT carry a color gene, even for white! I have been told, many times, that RED eyes in rabbits is NOT linked to albinism.The eye color is linked to brain tissue color, though.
My friend in Colorado raised NZ for meat for many years--her mother actually had a breeding program to determine what colors her REWs were hiding!!! She knew which of her rabbits she could put together to get red or black kits in the litters. She knew which ones were true albinos. So we need to look at the eye color genetics, too- how tied into coat color ARE they?

upload to photobucket.com and then copy the link it gives you that has img tags around it and paste it in your post.

I was able to put the photo on backyardherds. You can see it under rabbits - birthing, weaning, raising young rabbits. REW x REW litter question

Seals can't produce albinos (ch gene on both small c's). All white rabbits with red eyes are lacking the enzyme to produce their genetic colour.They still have the genetic material but can't show it because of this lack. If there is a broken gene added then that rabbit would have white feet plus it sounds like ej" so both ears could be white from the chin gene.

ok I just went and saw the pic, that is defiantly a harle- marked. Now I think you will have to post pictures of all the parents or possibles LOL

Back