case of snuffles? Can i still breed? help!!!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LopLionheadLady

Reaction score
HI guys! I got a new addition to my herd a black holland lop buck at 5 weeks old. He is such a love and bonded to me and my family instantly! around two and a half weeks ago muffin (his name) started sneezing but acting normal, so we immediately brought him to the vet. The vet said he was fine and sent him home. Muffin kept acting normal and energetic but making some grunting noises and occasionally sneezing. Yesterday Muffin had a sneezing fit and sneezed out a very small amount of yellow mucus. I immediately knew it could be snuffles and the vet prescribed him medicine. I am wondering if I can still breed him? I also don't want to get rid of this buck as he is very special. Culling is not an option for me. Also, could this just be inflammation or allergies as he has no eye discharge? The mucus only came out of one nostril and for about one week before the mucus incident, he had a tiny amount clear discharge only on that nostril. Please get back to me ASAP as I am very worried about my baby.

Have your vet do a culture or, if it's very expensive to get through the vet, you can order a culture kit and identification online http://pavlab.com/pavlab/diagnostic-ser ... ification/ If it's not actually pasturella, it maybe possible to cure it with the right antibiotics. In the mean time, you need to keep him isolated from your other rabbits and feed and water him last. Limit your contact with him and don't handle him before other rabbits.

Pasturella in rabbits is not curable, and is easily transmitted to other rabbits. There have been some studies showing that antibiotics can reduce the risk of transmission from infected does to their kits. treating-pasteurella-infected-does-prior-to-kindling-t3482.html?fbclid=IwAR3vZfBbpDlsBlit8fYx8OxiVnqa12PrQLrirRIGh9NyVadVK4_xC0vRo6Q However, you'd have to be actively treating him anytime you wanted to breed and there is still no guarantee he would not infect your does. Not to mention the fact that you would potentially breeding a week immune system into your herd.

I don't want to downplay the dangers of pasteurella, but your mention of only one nostril being involved reminded me of an case years ago where a rabbit had something (a grain of wheat or the like) lodged in the nostril. The vet should check for that possibility in addition to doing the culture.

Latest posts

Back