carrying a bun

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastelsummer

Reaction score
i asked this in my other post but then thought of wether it might work for my twins. (eventually i will show you pix of the twins promise)

I still have all my baby cariers and was wondering about carryoing the nonprgnant buns one at a time in them. My twins are still uber hand shy they were wild when they were caught ( mommy and daddy escaped and bred then the babies were caught) and not handled much before they were sold. I want them to be able to be picked up and held cuddled ect ect ect. but it is so hard to just cut out some time to just hold them all the time. so i wondered if putting them in a baby sling when i was about doing chores would work? i could still get the time in to tame them down and still be able to do the rest of the chores too i handle them when i feed and water and whn i just go out to watch them play. so at least a couple times a day for a few minutes at a time but i think they would benefit from more human interaction. What do you thing is it worth a shot?

About the only way I ever found to get rabbits to the point that they didn't struggle when being held or handled was by holding them properly. I always had good success with it by using my right hand to lay down their ears and grasp the scruff of their neck, then taking my left hand, running it over their back and supporting the majority of their weight with it while bringing them into my chest or mid section. Very rarely did I ever get any struggle from them, and there is not any real need for them to do so. It's time consuming, no question about it, but well worth the effort, and failing that you could end up with an injured rabbit, much like the young girl at the state fair this year who injured her own standard chinchilla because no one ever taught her the correct way to carry a rabbit. She dropped the rabbit 3 times along the way, and by the time she and her rabbit finally made it to the show table, the rabbit was bleeding from one of its feet.

And no way in the world would I put the rabbit into a baby sling.

Try spending about 5-10 minutes a day handling your rabbits. Sometimes it may not be possible to do so, but the more regularly they're handled properly, the better and more comfortable they'll become with it.

Of course there's always that one or two knuckleheads in the barn which will never really warm up to it. LOL!!!

Latest posts

Back