Caribbean Cuisine - Rabbit in Coconut Milk

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feraltydreaming

Reaction score
Good evening, everyone. I thought I would share this recipe (dinner tonight actually) as I found it a very interesting recipe that was very, very good. It is from a Caribbean cookbook.

I was thinking curry at first due to the coconut milk and my love of Thai food, but putting everything together brought a very different and quite delicate flavor combination. This was amazing, definitely give it a try if you like coconut milk and want something different with rabbit.

Serves 4
Cook Time 1½ hours
Total Time 3 hours

Ingredients
1 rabbit, cut into 8 pieces *see Note 1*
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes *see Note 2*
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 bay leaf
1 can (14 ounces) plum tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped *see Note 3*
2/3 cup chicken stock
1 can coconut milk
~ Salt and black pepper, to taste
~ White rice or boiled potatoes

Directions
1. Wash the rabbit under cold water, then pat the pieces dry. Combine the garlic, paprika, and cumin in a bowl, and rub the mixture all over the rabbit. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to marinate for 1 hour or overnight in the refrigerator.

2. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion slices, and cook for 5 minutes, until tender. Remove the onion with a slotted spoon and set aside.

3. Add the rabbit to the oil remaining in the pan, season, and cook until golden. Do this over a very low heat to avoid burning the spices.

4. Return the onion slices to the pan and add the bay leaf. Stir in the tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes.

5. Stir in the coconut milk. Continue to simmer, uncovered, for another 15 minutes, until the sauce has thickened. Serve immediately, with white rice or boiled potatoes.

Note 1: I deboned the raw rabbit for this dish because I am not a fan of bones in soup and stew-type dishes. Deboning a raw rabbit is not the easiest task in the world but it is not as difficult as you might think either. Make sure that you have a very, very sharp knife to do this or you will end up just butchering the rabbit a second time *laughs*. Here is a YouTube video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6ud68Qmdyc

Note 2: You can use ground Cayanne in this, but use sparingly if you just want a hint of spice.

Note 3: The tomato type is important here. Plum tomatoes (Roma tomatoes being a readily available type of plum tomato) have more meat in them than regular tomatoes, and they also have a distinct taste that is not as acidic as that of the average tomato. I have not tried this recipe using the typical varieties of tomatoes yet. You can use fresh Plum/Roma tomatoes here. I will next time. I just wanted to keep to the recipe this time.

Also, I added fresh mushrooms to this, but they are entirely optional. If you use them, make sure to put add them after you put the onions the second time.

I hope that those who try this enjoy it as much as I did!

Respectfully,
RW

Going to try this!! Looks really good *drool*
I think my brother would like this recipe too. He loves cooking with coconut milk. Will have to give him some more rabbit meat, then invite myself over for dinner :3

Latest posts

Back