Can we make this DIY air conditioner bunny friendly?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect you'll need to find a plan for a $20 ultra fast ice maker to keep up with the ice demand. In the video he was forcing 97 degree air over the ice. As a result that ice is going to melt pretty quick.

You can place the styrofoam cooler inside a wooden box or rubbermaid for added protection and even add more insulation or pop bottles of ice. I would recommend bottles of ice anyway, to avoid adding moisture to the air, unless you live in a very dry area and you want additional humidity in your rabbitry/home.

Dood":12zk5ngy said:
You can place the styrofoam cooler inside a wooden box or rubbermaid for added protection and even add more insulation or pop bottles of ice. I would recommend bottles of ice anyway, to avoid adding moisture to the air, unless you live in a very dry area and you want additional humidity in your rabbitry/home.
I was considering the reusable ice packs. You can order them in bulk for $.50 or less a piece.

Speaking of which, one of the comments where I found this suggested using some kind of insert filled with kitty litter in the fan area to dehumidify.

I think bottles of ice in each cage would be a better use of electricity. The rabbits can self regulate and not have cold air blown at them constantly. Since rabbits don't sweat, fans are not much help except to move out the hot air from a barn full of rabbits warming it to their body temperature of 103'

If this was in a closed room, where the cold air was trapped, I could see it working ok. But to have it out where new hot air is always coming in and melting the ice, it's not really worth it. Would also rather the power go to making ice for the rabbits to lean on than being wasted 'trying to cool the planet', cus really, out in the open, that's all you're doing. =/

I may have to try this... the majority of my rabbits are in my room anyway, and it would benefit me and the dog, lol.

Back