Register

Can someone please tell me all about Netherland Dwarfs

Discussion of specific breeds, breed standards and selection criteria for purebreds.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 11,530.00

Can someone please tell me all about Netherland Dwarfs

Post Number:#1  Unread postby GBov » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:13 am

All my buns are going on Thursday :( in prep for this big big move but my daughter, after we get settled in, wants Netherland Dwarf buns to replace them with.

I will be going off and reading any thread I can find about them it would be awesome if ND breeders will tell me all about them, pros and cons and quirks and advantages of the breed.

:popcorn:

__________ Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:13 am __________

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/pets4homes/ ... nd%20Dwarf

Having had a few looks at some ND threads, one thing has struck me, they look different here in the States than they do in England.

Or am I imagining it? The link above is from what is for sale on the pets4homes site in the UK.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 8,902.00

Re: Can someone please tell me all about Netherland Dwarfs

Post Number:#2  Unread postby Homer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:41 am

They look pretty much like the ones I saw at our show last weekend. Blocky heads and tiny little ears. Talking to one of the breeders the only negative thing she said was they "can" be a little hard to breed successfully. <mortality rate>
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 31,636.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Dood » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:42 pm

Look similar and I think it is just the posing

In North America ND are almost always posed upright and not with all 4 feet flat on a table like most other breeds

I haven't had purebred ND since the 80's but those were nasty, hormonal little buggers ( one of my does was completely fearless and regularly drew blood on my families fox terriers and people)

I never recommended them for a child

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,792.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby SableSteel » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:22 pm

My bucks have all been very friendly. My does are all flighty and flee to the back of the cage, but will attack if you reach for them. They also have a habit of suddenly jumping up and biting at your face (not fun). They are cheap to feed, relatively easy to care for. They are hard to get any living kits out of, so if you planning on breeding, I'd try to avoid dwarfs. If you just want pets, get a buck, not a doe.
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies
CZECH FROSTIES ARE NOT CYLINDRICAL THEY ARE JUST COMPACTS WITH A FLAT TOPLINE & EUROPEAN POSE
thesodi.com - the chicken game

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 11,530.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby GBov » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:15 am

Well rats, they sound a right nightmare to have and yes, my daughter wants to raise them. As our Rex are all calm, beautiful, good mothers, large litters, good grow out, great meat and fantastic pelts NDs sound totally useless with biting tossed in for good measure. :shock:

Site Supporter
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 8,902.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Homer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:10 pm

No idea how old our daughter is but you might consider Himalayans. Gentle, quick growth and produce more meat than 3 N.D's.

Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,792.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby SableSteel » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:44 pm

Himalayans are, in my opinion, the best rabbits for kids. Super, super laid back and friendly, quick growth (may have very little meat at all, but mine reach sr weight by 8 weeks old). The only downside is that they don't come in as many color as dwarfs and other breeds do
I have shown: bruns, hares, petites, dutch, spots, Flemish, harlequin, Havana, Himalayan, Hollands, jersey wooly, mini lop, mini rex, dwarfs, NZW, polish, standard chins, tan, vlops; American & coronet cavies
CZECH FROSTIES ARE NOT CYLINDRICAL THEY ARE JUST COMPACTS WITH A FLAT TOPLINE & EUROPEAN POSE
thesodi.com - the chicken game