Can she still feed them?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golden rabbitry

Reaction score
So I bred my rabbit about 3 days after she gave birth and only found out when I found week old kits (litter A) hidden deep within her little wooden house. I didn't know if a rabbit could conceive 3 days after giving birth? Well apparently they can because this morning I found 3 kits (litter B), all healthy looking and round bellies in the nest box I placed just in case. The older rabbits (litter A) are 5 weeks old and will be sold on the 6 week mark (she naturally weened them at 4 weeks) to make way for the new litter (litter B). My question is Can she feed them? She just dried up a week ago and seems slightly thinner. But the litter I found wasn't my fault, but rather I bought her pregnant with litter A (a week after she miscarried, the lady only told me after I paid :| ) She was insanely thin and fed litter A just fine so...?
*If need be I know how to bottle feed and syringe feed

Yes, normally she should be able to, back-to-back litters are not rare. But make sure she gets enough energy, triple her food, you can add some kitchen oatmeal and black sunflower seeds to her diet ( I don't have those seeds, I just mix the oatmeal with her pellets and put some sunflower seed oil on it). Nursing does don't get fat easily.

Rabbits can get pregnant the moment the last kit is out, nothing gets a buck more horny than a doe giving birth, they can mess everything up when not waiting for her to finish - one of those less cute behaviour details of rabbits.

Be very careful to not overfeed on oats. While oats are like crack to rabbits, oats are the worst thing for their health when provided in too high a quantity. Just pick up any rabbit veterinary manual, and you will see that oats have the worst calcium phosphorous ratio. Further, diets based upon too much oats is directly related to acquired dental disease.

Do I feed my does oats? Yes, but only one bite or two a couple times per week out of a treat bucket.
The worst that can happen when they overdo it on sunflower seeds is stinky butt. Stinky butt is where your rabbit has had a microbiome imbalance in their cecum. This will cause too many soft feces to be exuded compared to hard feces. Therefore the stinky butt is the rabbit has been squeezing out too many soft feces. Time for your favorite rabbit to get some timothy hay, grass from the yard, dandelion leaves, clover, things with good fiber in general.

Therefore, I also limit the quantity of sunflower seeds that breeding does and kits get weekly.

Back