Can rabbits get dog fleas?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iloverabbits18

Reaction score
I recently started letting my buck rabbit in the house so I can pet him because I separated the doe from making more kits. I also have a female blind rabbit which I cannot put with the buck because the may have babies. So I get my buck rabbit from outside hutch and go inside while watching tv and stroking his fur. My dogs have very little fleas but before had many fleas. I stopped letting my rabbit inside because of my fear of my rabbit having fleas from dogs. Can This happen? Any ideas if it can??

Yes. Fleas do not prefer to live on rabbits and most small animals but they will get on them and bite them if they are in the area. They can cause anemia quickly in small animals. If your dogs keep getting fleas then your yard has fleas and your rabbit is already exposed to fleas. They just don't aim for rabbits specifically or hatch on them like they do dogs and cats. Much the same as humans can be covered in fleas if they have infested pets or a very infested yard from wild animals and stray pets but they don't breed on humans so as soon as you treat the dogs/cats and if necessary yard the problem should be gone for everyone.

Back