Can I Do This?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
I really really want to keep specific baby back... except she's reserved to someone, and they are coming to pick her up tonight.

Is it just tough luck because I already reserved her, or can I offer the woman a different rabbit with or without a discount and not look like a total jerk?

I would try it, explaining the reason why and if she doesn't go for it, sell her the one promised.

Ask the woman nicely if she can concider another rabbit? Be honest that youd like to keep it..

Well, the reasons I want to keep it are two-fold.

She's nicely built, lots of mane, vienna marked, so she could be kept back for a breeding doe.

She's also anti-social, grumpy, prone to thumping and just not the most pleasant rabbit. I think she'll come around, but she's far more stubborn than the others in that litter.

I'm going to offer up the orange buck, Roman, instead. I don't know that he carries vienna, so no real loss to my breeding program, and he's just as fluffy and cute.

YOU always, always, always have first dibs on any rabbit.

That's YOUR choice as breeder. AND you do NOT have to explain why (you can if you want, but you are not obligated to do so).

If you really want to keep her, keep her, especially if she's going to a pet home and she's not a good fit for a pet home.

I figure the woman and I will talk. I emailed her and made her aware of the possibility, just being honest with her.

I just hate going back on my word. It doesn't seem like a very nice thing to do for me.

I think Roman would make a much nicer pet than Mica for sure.

----

She picked a different one. That makes me feel soooooo much better.

that's what you say.

you are being A GOOD breeder if you tell her...as this bunny has matured she has not developed the type of personality that makes for a good pet bunny. She'll need some work to be what you need in a pet. This bunny here will be the better option as he is "use whatever words would be good descriptors". It's a matter of providing GOOD education. That's what a good breeder does. Provides people with solid information about the rabbits they are purchasing.

I've had people come here all hung up on they want THIS rabbit because they like the colour and I ask what they are looking for in a rabbit... one who likes to be with them, that likes to sit quiet (and the one they have their eye on is mr. energizer bunny... NOT a good fit...but over here I have quiet, sit quietly until I know what's what and THEN I'll explore but I'll come up for pets first"...THAT's the better bunny for them. And that is what you explain without you feeling like you are going back on your word. :) Because you aren't.... Your word is that you want to provide them with a good pet bunny.

Like everyone else said, be honest and tell the lady how you feel.
yes you are selling a rabbit, but you are selling yourself more. if she is happy with the rabbit, chances are she will be a return customer. She will tell everyone what wonderful rabbits you have and how nice you are.
if she gets a rabbit that is wrong for her, she will also tell everyone. however you will not be the great person
you are. you will be the one who dumped a bad bunny on her. you know there could be problems and you did nothing to help her
get the right one for her.
I learned the hard way. in business if you do a good job. the customer will tell 1 or 2 peole how good you were to them.
if you do a bad job, or mistake was made. the customer will tell 100 people. all about what problems they had. and nothing good about how you worked to make it right with them.
word of mouth is the best advertisement you can have. it is also the worst you can have as well.

make a reputation for yourself and your rabbits, ALWAYS be HONEST and up front with everyone who looks at or asks about your rabbits. be above any questions. make a name for your self, so when some one says anything about you or your
rabbits, they will be able to say. I know her and her rabbits are the best one you will ever find, and she will go out of her way to set you with the rabbit that is right for you.

Keep up the good work,and it will pay off for you.
Best of luck.

I edited my old post without realizing there was new posts. She did pick another one, thanked me for being honest, and said she could see that Mica wasn't as friendly as I'd hoped. I apologized for leaving it so late, though I had told her about the problems, and explained that I kept hoping she would make the change and realize I'm not going to hurt her.

1872_559480964086106_266655241_n.jpg

I named her Karma... Haven't decided yet if it's Chameleon or Police.

When I buy a pet, I leave the choice of "which to get" to the breeder, because they know the animals better than I do and can more easily choose the best pet. :) Now if she was looking for a SHOW rabbit.......then yeah I choose based on build and color as much as temperament for show animals and brood/breeding animals. :)

I'm glad she got the better pet and you got the lovely breeder. :) Everybody wins!!!!! :D

She just sent me another email thanking me for being honest and helping her pick a better pet bun. I did tell her that part of the reason I wanted her to pick another was because I wanted this doe to breed, but that I wouldn't have said anything if it hadn't been for the skittishness as well.

i do have a query.... if you know the doe is skittish....why are you willing to breed that into your lines?

just curious to understand the rationale behind your thinking...

I figure with some extra work, I can get her to come around. I just had a lot of babies here to be socialized, and couldn't give her the kind of attention she needed. Her brothers and sister are all really social as well, and the mother is shy, so I know you can raise social babies from an antisocial doe. She's actually doing a lot better now that there's only one other rabbit in the cage with her. I wonder if someone was bullying her, and adding to the issue.

Back