Call me Mary

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Caper Farm

Reaction score
I have a little lamb. :) Got a call from a fellow rabbit/goat/sheep breeder to say he had a newborn lamb that was too weak to get up and nurse, did I want her?

Needless to say, I've brought her home. She's a black Barbados with a white tip to her tail. She's pretty limp although she will suck and swallow, so that's a good sign. She's had some colostrum, a shot of E/Selenium and some strong coffee with molasses, so we just have to wait and see if she perks up.

She's a 1/2 sister to my last bottle lamb, Leroy, who is now my herd sire.

Fingers crossed!

We have a herd of Saint Crox hair sheep and end up with bottle babies every now and then. Sometimes of the ewes with have triplets or one of the first time ewes will have twins and not be able to take care of them both. We actually we have three, three week old lambs in the kitchen right now. :)
How limp is she?

Emily

She's not looking too well. She can hold her head up, but she doesn't want to. Her breathing is very rapid, although her eyes still look fairly bright.

We'll see if she makes it through the night.

yup - sad to hear it but at least she had every chance ...
hang in there and know there will be more bottle babies around the corner probably

Yup, it's farm life. But, like they say, where there's life, there's hope. You have to try to save them.

Ah well, another two-three weeks and the kids start arriving! Emily, the first one due, has been bagging up for a good three weeks already. Of course, she's the one that started producing milk before she ever met a buck. She was my first bottle baby, because her mother decided to fling her across the barn (teeth! nasty) when she was six hours old. When she had her first kids last spring, she was the best mother. So, it's not true what they say about bottle babies being lousy mothers. :D

"They" also say you shouldn't raise rams on the bottle because they turn nasty. Leroy was a bottle baby and the worst thing he does is untie people's bootlaces! :lol: Such a fierce ram. :roll:

Latest posts

Back