Californians

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBA

Reaction score
Obviously californians are a meat breed. I raise them for that purpose, but, my daughter also shows them. Typically, if we have a doe we are keeping as a future breeder, she will show her until she is old enough to breed.

All that said, I really like the breed. Sure, they are all pretty skiddish and don't like a lot of attention, but, in my eyes, they are nice looking rabbits. Plus, they are easy to care for.

So, let's see some pictures of your californians.

I will start with this pic. This little guy is about 3 weeks old or so, hitching a ride in my shirt pocket.

Attachments

• IMAG0975.jpg
    IMAG0975.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,779
This was one of my first rabbits. I don't know what the SOP is, or how he compared, but I loved his "eyebrows" :lol: . Sadly he caught snuffles from another rabbit that I got a couple months later from the same breeder. I learned a lot of lessons with that :oops: . Still sad about him... and my son was pretty much devastated b/c he was "his."

Mine are all usually laid back and calm, until you reach in to pet them. Then they run to the back corner of the cage, hunker down and flinch and tense up as soon as you touch them. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:08 am __________ <br /><br /> This is Alice, getting ready to give me more little ones.

Attachments

• IMAG0957.jpg
    IMAG0957.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,771
There is a thread on the meat board 'bunnies gone wild' maybe? Lots of input on Cali's , from when I got mine ;)

My best buck is Royal, my purebred Cali.
He doesn't like handling but loves petting and attention.
He's a big hunk of meat, and makes great babies.
I'd like to show him just to get feedback on type.
image.jpg

These kits are 1/2 Cali, all pointed whites.
image.jpg

And the half eared doeling is 'Bitten' and we're keeping her for breeding.
I've also kept a Siamese sable doeling out of Roy to breed back to him :)
So I have lots of Cali blood in my meat herd.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,757
Today was weigh-in day, so I thought I'd share some pics of my new herd! We are hopeful after losing all our NZs to pasturella. New commercial class rabbits were hard to find where I live, but I managed to find an old, proven buck and a couple of young does. This is Neenu. Born on 9/3, she was 4# 2oz when I brought her home on 12/15 and today weighs in at 4# 10 oz. Not bad!

[album]3467[/album]

Next comes Ginny from the same litter. Got here on 12/15 a little small at 3# 13oz but is also tipping the scale at 4# 10oz.

[album]3466[/album]

Our sire is the hopefully-named Upgrade (or Upgrayedd for those familiar with the movie Idiocracy). He's put on a couple ounces since coming here. He LOVES his pellets. 10# 3 oz.

[album]3468[/album]

The rabbits are all very friendly and seem accustomed to being handled, even though they all come from strictly-meat operations.

I have 2 cal mix bucks.
005 (500x375) (4).jpg
064 (500x375).jpg

Cumin loves his head scratched and treats. Even comes when called. But hates being picked up. He'll hop out of his cage to my lap and then back to his cage but gets grunty if he's picked up.

Taco is still coming around. He has been handled since day one and still is jumpy around us.

Latest posts

Back