Californian doe 5 mo old 1sr litter gone wrong?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fall mom

Reaction score
2016-05-02 08.14.17.jpg2016-05-02 08.13.14.jpg2016-05-02 08.13.58.jpg2016-05-02 08.13.36.jpg2016-05-02 08.12.52.jpgMy californian had her first litter on day 28/29. She gave birth to 4 live kits. This morning, day 30 I go out and find her pulling fur. I went to set her morning carrot in her cage and she head butted my hand. I continued my normal morning routine with her anyway and added some fresh grass. She filled her mouth with grass and began trying to pull fur from herself with a full mouth. I noted a potty in the corner of her cage that had a clot of blood. I continued to observe her and I noticed when she peed her pee looked bloody. I the a handful of hay in thinking if she was trying to build another nest she may be frustrated without having stuff to build with. She jumped all over the hay with her mouth still full of grass and fur. She also had a spot of blood on her side. What is going on and what do I need to do for her?

if she just had the babies then it is probably just a spot of blood from giving birth and moving around the cage between kits. immediately after kindling when she pees there can be some leftover stuff that gets cleared out with the urine.

if she is acting fine I would not think anything is awry.
if she is a bit grumpy, well she did just give birth. its hard work. and she is probably on a bit of a hormone wave right after kindling. she is probably feeling a bit territorial about her new babies.

now is the fun part.
sit and relax a little and watch the little wrigglers grow.

She had those babies Friday night /saturday-morning, there was no blood untill this morning (monday) and her behavior today is different then her behavior Saturday and Sunday that was what made me think something is off with this one's situation.

Sounds like normal doe behaviour, it could be she also isn't done giving birth :mrgreen:

Some only pull fur AFTER they've given birth so it is just her hormones acting up

As it was her first litter she may have some haemorrhaging or tearing, watch out for any whitish, yellowish or green discharge which could indicate infection but usually the contracting uterus expels any remaining tissues and heal up just fine

Back