Cage Wire?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakarta1982

Reaction score
I am preparing to start over with all new cages for meat rabbit operation. The cages will be under a pole barn in North Texas. I plan on at least 14 ga. wire for the floors and 16 ga. for sides and top. I have heard and am concerned about predators and the wire spacing. It seems to me 2x4, 1x2, or even 1x1 seem large enough for snakes and such to enter. I thought 1x1/2 or 1/2x1/2 would be necessary for sides, top and bottom. I appreciate your thoughts in advance.

:hi: to RT Jakarta!

I am going to split your post into a new thread so you will get more replies.

1/2" x 1" for top, sides, and bottom will certainly make your cages very secure from rats, mice, and snakes, but they will be very expensive to build which is why most people use the 1" x 2" for all but the floor.

Small predators can also still gain access through feeders if they are mounted on the outside of the cage unless you have lids for them. I have lids for some of my feeders (more to protect the feed from getting wet than anything else) but I rarely use them simply because it is time consuming to remove and replace them when feeding.

I live in an area with snakes but we seldom see them on our property because we have a lot of barn cats and dogs running around. Snakes will occasionally get into cages- it hasn't happened here, but I have read about it online- but it certainly is not what I would consider to be an epidemic problem.

Rats, on the other hand, can be a big problem so you need to be sure to keep on top of rodent control. Most people rarely have any problems with rats at all- but they can be devastating to newborn kits if a population moves in.

You need to weigh the cost versus benefit to you on using the 1/2" x 1"... if you can easily afford it it is a moot point, but if not, how much of a predation problem do you consider to be likely? Do you live in an area with lots of raccoons, skunks, or opossums?

If you do go with the 1/2" x 1", run it so the 1" is horizontal between "holes". This will prevent rabbits from chewing on their neighbor's fur through the wire. I have some cages here specifically for show rabbits that have 1/2" x 1" partitions for just that issue. :)

Make sure to post pictures of your new bunny barn when it is done! We LOVE pictures here at RT!

Welcome to RT!

I agree with MSD, the wire pricing is a big consideration. Our cages are 1/2 X 1 floors, and 1 X 2 walls and tops. Definitely go with the heavier flooring, it's worth the extra cost.

And more details please! We love talking set up options.

Latest posts

Back