Cage setup

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blair

Reaction score
Cage preferences.

Do you prefer single hanging cages?

Or

One long cage 10-12 feet long divided into several holes?

Why?

I prefer individual cages, so that I can rearrange them whenever and however I want.

depends entirely on your purposes.

Single hanging cages means NO contact between rabbits. So they are helpful for isolation purposes. The space difference also means you can hang things between cages (for instance if you have a sneezer that you are monitoring, or a buck that sprays). They are significantly easier to clean and move about. Long sets take a careful hand and strong back to move around well.

Long rows mean that lonely bunny types can snuggle up next to the rabbit next door (unless they hate each other, and then it means potential for bites through the wire). long rows save huge on wire costs and save tons of space. Long rows make it easier to feed them as well, and are often easier to hang.

I think should I have opportunity to have a barn with cages I can set up at what I think is a good height I would like cages that are all separate in the long run, except for grower cages. Grower cages I'd like to have in rows of them. Like two 2 x 36 in a set, then three 2 x 30's and then four 2 x 24's. Starting with bigger cages for whole litters, and gradually move them down into smaller cages as they get bigger and I wean out the ones I want to keep. Since they are only in them for a shorter period of time, ease of clean out isn't as big a concern for me.

The girls I'd like to keep in individual cages with sets of brood cages that are larger then normal. Just so they have space to move about and prevent clumsiness. I'd redesign them with under wire nest boxes. Or boxes that hang off the back or something. Not these boxes that I have to set into the cages.

But then I also want to be able to keep my bucks in large runs (on concrete) with litter boxes. :) Get them out of the wire cages and let them just be bucky and funny in bigger areas.

My cages are all single hung double tiered.
Doe cages are 24" X 36" X 18" Buck cages are 24" X 30" X 18"
I have a 3 stack cage which is 24" X 24" X 18" these are to hold
juniors which may become replacements in the herd.
I have a few outdoor meat pens which are a bit larger.
My system works for me, in the beginning I had many outdoor
Hutches which though they worked well created obstacles in
the inclement weather. Building the closed in rabbitry was a Godsend
which gave me at the very least shelter from the elements when
feeding, watering and doing general care of the members in my herd.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

From an economical stand point, I like the long cages. Saves wire, etc.

For all other purposes, I prefer single cages. Easier to move, easier to rearrange, can bring one in if I need, etc.

I have both. I like the single cages because, as a lot of people have said, they can be rearranged easily. I like the long banks because they take up less space and are way more economical to build. The only complaint I have regarding the banks is the cleaning! All rabbits have to come out and if one has a litter, that is a pain. I am going to start breeding all of the does in one bank at the same time, now that I am starting the breeding program at scratch again. Something I should have thought about before!!!

As to future expansions? I will continue to use both styles. That way, if for some reason, I need to 'tuck a cage somewhere' because of space problems (always an issue), I can shift stuff.

Latest posts

Back