Cage question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fall mom

Reaction score
I am new to meat rabbits. I use to have english angora which are a whole list of different care needs. These meat rabbits don't seem to need much compared to the angora. I am seeing a lot of wire cages and nest boxes is there a reason this seems to be preferred housing? I am just raising small scale for my family and extended family. When I drew a picture of what I wanted built I did a little box they could always have. The box is divided so she has room in the event she becomes cold or spooked that is separated from her nest area. The divider is high enough it should knock the kits off if she leaves with an attached one. She had a litter of 12 last night. It's my first meat rabbit litter. The whole bottom is wire I have it stuffed with hay. Will I run into issues with this type of housing? Should I be using all wire cages with a nest box? I am trying to upload photos but I can't seem to get them to attach... got em. Also do these kits look greenish? I keep thinking their color seems odd.2016-04-13 15.54.21.jpg2016-04-13 15.53.59.jpg2016-04-13 15.53.19.jpg2016-04-13 15.52.50.jpg

There are lots of ways to do things and not just one is right. I'm no good at telling anyone how to make anything electronic work but hope someone can help you figure out how to post photos. Without being able to clearly picture your set-up, I have a few questions.
Is it easy for you to access the nest area to check on kits? We've gotten into the habit of pulling the nest box and checking on kits daily for the first week. Then just check to clean--remove soiled or wet hay and put in fresh.
Is the nest area closed off when the doe doesn't have (and isn't soon expecting) kits?
How much room does the doe have not counting the nest?
Do you leave kits in the nest until they can get out on their own? How old would that be?
The floors are wire. Is the rest all wood? What about ventilation?

Welcome to RT and hope your meat raising venture goes well--sounds like you're off to a good start.

My photos were just too large I had no issues once resized. As mentioned new to meat rabbits so I was asking because I started thinking maybe people used all wire because of a chewing issue with the breed or something. It wouldn't do much good to house them in a house they would eat. I want them safe and comfortable so knowing what their best housing would be is important.

I choose all wire cages for many reasons.

1. Rabbits pee on everything then they eat the pee on wood that could have nasty things that can make them sick
2. Easier to keep clean
3 Able to be hung. Since I have a garage in which to hang them. Ideal.
4 Cheaper if you build them yourself.

Your cages look very comfortable for the bunnies. :)

I find, my rabbits almost always decide that the wooden or enclosed areas of my pens are the perfect potty place. Feces also can accumulate anywhere wood is placed directly under wire. This can rot the wood and expose them to their own waste, which can increase cocci exposure, contribute to sore hocks, and potentially create risk for mastitis.

So to compensate, I usually build my pens out of just wire, and then add wooden, metal or plastic nestboxes, resting boards or "bunny houses" on top of the wire.
I like that method because those parts can be easily removed and washed or replaced by fresh untainted pieces as I deem necessary.

Started with wooden hutches and now have all wire cages suspended in wooden frames. My buns have ceramic tiles to get off the wire- some use them, some don't.

Main reasons for switching to wire are mostly listed above, but I would add that my buns are outside and the heat is much less of an issue with wire cages.

I froze wonder bubbles two winters ago. I assumed a wooded area would be important for warmth. The bottom in the wooded area is still wire. Shoot I might be more undecided now then before I posted. I had all wire for my angoras but these meat rabbits don't look like they'd be as warm as angoras. 9544083.jpgI will have to take all this into consideration with the other cages. I live in Michigan so winters really suck. That's why I was thinking wood safe/stay warm area. I do not want them living in filth or getting cold. The man of the house says I am over thinking this and starting to care for them like pets. I just want them safe and well cared for. Thank you for all the replies everyone I appreciate the information.

Not to be indelicate, if they are your rabbits, think them any way you like! I spend HOURS pondering any problem or issue I am having and many times come up with the answer at 3 am. And breeders are pets for many people, just because you eat them, doesnt mean you cant love them too!

*jumps off soap box*

Now, your cage question. :lol:

My rabbits would COOK in your hutch but it looks not only beautiful but comfortable as well. Its a nice size and I like the nest box with a comfort space beside it.

I think you said it has all wire on the bottom? If so it should work just fine. If you keep the hay changed when it gets wet I cant see any reason to change. If its not you could just see how she gets on with it, some rabbits keep their houses clean. Non of mine do but I have a friend who has rabbits that NEVER mess in their box.

All wire works best for most of us because its easy to keep clean and its cool and rabbits suffer from heat but dont ever seem to get cold. As long as they have enough food, that is. I didnt realize that until I spent a winter where it gets cold and my rabbits got really really thin before I learned enough to up their feed in the cold. :oops:

My cages all have built in nest cages that hang from the floor. It works for me. And wooden slats work for some of them for resting and for others I am trying vinyl skirting that is used on mobile homes as resting platforms. Its perferated so doesnt block the air flow and if the bun pees on it it can flow through. Tiles NEVER worked for me because the daft things would shove them round and into their potty corner, foul them and then soak their feet.

Having Rex, keeping the feet good is the challenge. :roll:

Latest posts

Back