Cage doors

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had the choice, I would have mounted on the inside, swings up. It would push the rabbits out of the way for a door-bomber, and not get in your way at all. Plus, it automatically swings shut, and the rabbits can't get out (or have a harder time of it)

Door that swing open to the side are really a hassel, I think, and I would love to do away with them forever. :) Although there is probably a very good reason that so many cages are built that way.

I have both and i think the swing out are best. The does that are cage aggressive really hate seeing the doors swing in

The doors on most of my cages swing up and inside.
when they are down, should you forget to hook them
the rabbits have a harder time escaping.
You can place an hook on top of the cage to hook the door up
creating easy access to the rabbit. Whatever works best for you
and you are comfortable with is your best choice.
I chose what I did through experimentation and found
that the swing in doors worked best for me.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

My cages (not in current use since I have gone to a colony) have full-size doors that open out and down. I like that they are completely out of the way when the cage is open. Never had a problem with rabbits jumping out. :)

Mine are an even mix of swinging out, and swinging up and in. They both have plus sides, but I gotta admit that I like them swinging up and in a bit more.

Mine are mounted...on the outside and swing out. Lol. Had to think about that for a second. I did have one cage that was mounted in, and swung up, but it drove me nuts, so I switched it! lol.
I have some cages that open to the left, some that open to the right...it gets kinda confusing, but it works. lol.

Emily

Mine are mounted on the inside and swing in and up. I have clips that hang from the ceiling that catch the doors and hold them up, and release the door with only a bump. My only trouble is that I'm not very tall, and I have to be on a step stool in order to release the doors on the second level of cages.

They are much more secure than my one Havahart cage (not currently in use) that has the door mounted on the outside and swinging out. That cage is a wiley bun's dream!

Mine are all on the outside and swing down and out or to the side. I think I would use most door options as long as they were secure, but my thing is having big enough door openings. Some of my cages have wonderful oversized holes for big nestboxes, etc., but a few have the standard and I hate how small they are, especially on big cages for big rabbits because it makes them difficult to remove even when they are as relaxed as a wet noodle.

Lauren

You'll probably get as many opinions as replies. I personally prefer down and out because my cages are in racks.

All of my bought cages have the doors that are mounted on the inside and swing up. They are OK, I guess. I have run into problems with them though. The opening is not large enough for the nest boxes to go through, so I have to remove the top of the cage to put the nest box in or take them out. Also, between J feeders, hay racks, and water bottles, I run out of room on the front of the cages pretty quick. On cages that I have made, I make it where the entire top is hinged on the back side and there is no door on the front. Everything goes in or out through the top. I prefer this setup best and will be moving more towards it as I get time to build more cages.

I dont like the doors that open in and fasten too the top.I have too push the rabbit out of the way too get the door open.I usuallly change them soo they open out too the right.

I have cages that open up and in, sideways and in (those are deplorable), up and out and out and down. Out and down is the best on a front loading cage. I've gone to top loading when I build a cage. It will make it a hassle if I ever decide I want to stack, but it seems to be much less stress on the buns.

I love how there are so many reasons to like the different styles!

Now I might have to play more. I need to get some wire sometime this year!

I also have 1 cage that does swing out and down. I do like it but im worried the kids wont latch it right and ill have rabbits everywhere. I will be pushing the cages up this spring will be around 4 ft of the ground so the kids will not be able to reach the doors no more. So i might add a few more doors like that. My fiend has them and loves them.

curlysue":3si0i3c5 said:
I dont like the doors that open in and fasten too the top.I have too push the rabbit out of the way too get the door open.I usuallly change them soo they open out too the right.

I have to agree, I have also found that the more social rabbits don't like doors that swing up and in either. My buck used to be in a cage that the door swung out and down and he loved coming to the door and getting his head rubbed and to get his hay bowl (I would fill it with hay and set it on his open door and he would tug it in to start munching). Now I have him in a bigger cage since he hit 13lbs and the door goes in and up and he hates it, he can't come to the door and wait for attention etc. I have to push him to the back of the cage to open the door and them again to close it...

Latest posts

Back