Cage Design

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryStephensonJr

Reaction score
I started very recently with raising rabbits. We were given a set of cages. 5 in total under a tin roof with 2x4 framing. It is enclosed on 3 sides but not the front. I have decided after another post I made on this forum that I must increase my rabbitry. These are being raised for meat, so efficency is very important.
For efficency sake I have began drafting plans for my new setup, which would better allow me to care for my animals; but I have hit a bit of a snag in my planning. I originally intended to build a 10x13 building with a metal roof. I had planned to simply let the ground be the floor, however after checking my location more throughly I have come to the conclusion that it will have to include a floor.
The building I am planning is going to have stacked cages on down 2 sides. Between the two levels my intention is to build a slide out fine mesh tray to catch the droppings for clean out, and an angled divider to run the urine into a pipe which will run through a drain pipe out of and away from the building. The mesh tray will be cleaned a few times a week and the droppings will be used to fertilize a garden.
The back wall will have a 3' space(future access to adjacent chicken nesting boxes). The system should work well enough, but accidents happen so the floor is going to need to be easy to clean, and non absorbant. Any ideas on good materials ? I am not doing this building cheaply, but I am not wasting money either.

You sound like you have a good plan. The key is to start small. A lot of people start in rabbits and then get out just as fast. This thread is my beginnings (post258460.html#p258460) Total cost for my year one so far is $571.07 and have made 1 sell so far of $10. I got my first rabbits in April. If you where give a start up setup use it and see if you like the work that goes into it. If so then invest in a building. We had the building, found a huge rabbit cage, found more free wire (for cages), insulation was free. We found most of what was used for free or else our startup cost would have been higher.

Just a thought. Best of luck and welcome.
Cathy

Definitely take your time so you don't get burned out too fast :)

I started with a super cheap hutch and rabbits from CL - not the greatest, but within 5 months I made back $80 of my initial $90 investment (2 hutches for 5 holes, 3 rabbits). Not too shabby (doesn't include feed costs). I then stumbled into a fantastic deal that in the end got me: 4, 4-hole hutches, 5 rabbits, 7 next boxes, quite a few feeders, j clips, pliers, 3 stand fans, a new, unopened pack of shavings, extra wire, etc. (this list goes on) for $250 - of course, this was after spending $270 on 6 hanging cages to go in the converted chicken coop from CL (3 sided building) :roll: .

Good deals can be found with patience!

Also, a lot of people have their "happy place" with rabbits where it goes from enjoyable fun to flat out work. I have 10 adults and 18 grow outs right now. It's manageable, but I like a few fewer. 3 rabbits was really nice to start out with. Wasn't quite enough for full meat production though.

Curious - why is it you need a floor? All my cages/hutches are open to the ground... I actually put one over an area that I wanted for an herb garden specifically for the added fertilization. Moved it out a month or so ago and the increase in worm activity is unreal!

If you are building an enclosed metal building, make sure you keep the summer temps in mind.

I also use slant boards, but mine catch all waste. It all goes into the garden, but we have a small rabbitry.

As to the floor, based on your description, mess would be very minimal. I am not sure I would do anything but have a good rake and maybe some lime to sprinkle once in a while.

Mine has a dirt floor and water and urine soak into it. Added the waste system because I have a bad back and raking up the waste was too much. I see great deals on CL but never have any money. :( :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back