C&c cages?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endless Warren

Reaction score
I made a c&c cage for my best netherland dwarf buck, who's graduated to being a pet too. It's 1 square high and 2 squares by 3 squares, was originally made for guinea pigs. Do any of you use this type of cage for pet rabbits? I've never really seen and good examples of it being used for rabbits. I have supplies for an extra absorbent fleece liner pad coming in soon too

I use a C&C for my growouts-- mine are both 4x4 and 2 tall, and serve well. When my Champagne doe retires I plan to build her cage out of C&C. If you want to see good examples of C&C cages, I usually look through videos on youtube to get inspiration-- most the video makers are teenaged ladies, and their ideas and designs are really rather neat!! Here are some examples I found and liked: one, two, three.

I will warn that unless you've got a lid, they'll jump out. I use fleece/ tarps to cover them up at night.

I find them more work and cost to make rabbit proof than just using wood and rolls of wire. You can waterproof wood relatively easy with any rustoleum enamel or polyurethane and if you want a solid floor just waterproof a chunk of plywood. Might take a couple coats and days of drying but it essentially makes it clean like plastic. They make long thin metal hinges you can put on the interior edge of the wood if chewing is a problem which it would be with any other material but a custom metal pan anyway. I quite easily and cheaply get 6 and 8' long cages of any width and height that way. Put a horizontal board where ever you want to attach a shelf or just hold them up by their own posts and leave them able to chew for entertainment. I've also cut holes in larger rubbermaid containers and they go in them or lay on them. Coroplast doesn't hold up to rabbits and potty training was just too much work for an imperfect result so I was having to put in a waterproofed wood frame anyway to hold the bedding and waste or a wire bottom floor with a pan but that allows more spray out the cages. I have had to repaint every room I ever kept rabbits in because even if you make the backs higher a small ND can spray 4' up the wall.

Back