Register

Buyers for rabbits to hunt

From vermiculture and selling rabbit manure to rent-a-bunny for Easter photographs, this forum is a place to discuss other ideas for making a profit from rabbits.
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,133.00

Re: Buyers for rabbits to hunt

Post Number:#16  Unread postby MR_ND » Sun May 18, 2014 8:38 pm

ladysown wrote:got another email from the fellow this morning after I turned down his offer of $2.50/lb live rabbit.

Says he's switched his dogs to a raw food diet and thinks rabbit would be a good addition.

I told him if he wants dog food rabbit I can stick 'em in the freezer and he can buy them that way for $2.50/lb/live weight.

Did he respond? Curious to see what he says if he responds.
Itty Bitty Rabbitry
Breeding Polish
Specializing mostly in black and broken black. Would like to go to Black and Chocolate.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,646.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby ladysown » Sun May 18, 2014 10:21 pm

I have not heard back at this point. Didn't really expect to. I find when folks change their stories there is something not quite "up".

Going from I want rabbits to hunt, to I want to feed my dogs (then why are you asking for LIVE rabbits?).

I get people who email about rabbits, wanting them for their dogs. They NEVER start off with "I want to hunt", they always start off with their dog
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

The following user would like to thank ladysown for this post
Zass

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 43.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Jannette » Wed May 13, 2015 3:44 pm

Just a heads up for ANYONE who breeds and sells rabbits live if you EVER get a request like this it is ILLEGAL as the rabbits bred for meat and pets are "domestic" rabbits, if you were found selling to someone who got caught doing it you can be charged as an accessory in animal cruelty (depending on your state laws) -this is about live not pre killed. It classes as a form of torture. Hunting licenses ONLY cover native species so for them to take a domestic rabbit and buy it for the purpose of sport is illegal.

In general there is ONLY 4-5 exclusions to that law depending on the state, which can be summed up as putting an animal out of its misery due to an injury to which it can not recover with proper care (a horse breaks a leg so the farmer shoots it) hunting as described under a hunting license (for native species, cottontail, jack rabbit etc), Killing livestock animals for their resources (meat and hide) and coming across an injured wild animal that is beyond rehabilitation or considered a threat, a farmer defending livestock from an animal wild or domestic.

Any other case is considered torture (including using rabbit raccoon fox any LIVING animal) when used to train a dog to hunt or to help with your "target practice".

If you knowingly sell to someone who follows those practices and the cops arrest them you can be charged and your own livestock removed.

Just a small PSA from someone who worked SPCA rehab investigations cases. LOL

The following user would like to thank Jannette for this post
Susie570

BunnyBucks: 12,964.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Susie570 » Wed May 13, 2015 4:00 pm

This is a really old thread, but thanks for adding your post. I'm glad to have that information. People are horrible. :(

I price my rabbits above 'live food' prices. That's enough to stop most of them. smh.
Interested in running a forum for Lop rabbits? Ask me.

BunnyBucks: 43.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Jannette » Wed May 13, 2015 10:19 pm

yea i saw it was old figured i would post the legalities of it anyways so people knew in advance that it can rack up some serious problems for themselves if they knowingly sold to someone for that purpose. A LOT of people dont realize as breeders you can get big time backlash but your supplying an animal knowing the intended purpose which makes you "just a guilty" as the one comiting the act. liek people who fight dogs, the breeders may not be at the ring but they are supplying the ring and get in trouble anyways even with no direct contact with the ring because they KNOW what it is goes against the law. (in a case like the this the intent was given if police looked at the email then the breeder gets pegged as well)

;) i'd rather post on an old thread about the legal issues with it then i would keep my mouth shut and someone end up getting a run in witht he law, depending on how "peta friendly" the area some breeders would get a verbal warning and informed of the laws around it others get smacked with the same cruelty and negligence charges as the abusers do (several thousand in fines, animals seized and up to 3-5 years (depending on area) of jail time. NOT worth it in the long run to knowingly sell or supply hunters with live anything, and I HUNT and train hunting dogs (well use to out of it now until we buy a new house) there is NO need for a live animal for training, we had one of the top dogs in the state (coon hound) any and all of her training was done with a 3 year old pelt and a piece of rope (and at one point grandpa on an ATV ). LOL

The "i NEED a live animal" is a TOTAL BS story by people who dont actually know how to train their dogs properly, a good hunter doesnt need live prey to train a carcass or just a pelt is all that's required which is why it is illega l to train with living creatures, its the lazy mans way.

__________ Wed May 13, 2015 10:19 pm __________

^and thats JUST the animal cruelty laws, if a hunter looses said rabbit in an attempt to "hunt" it they also can get tagged with releasing an invasive species...

The following user would like to thank Jannette for this post
Susie570, Zass

Previous